Windows on a Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by WhitneyGail, Aug 2, 2011.

1. WhitneyGail macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I almost purchased an 11 inch Air for my dad today. He's an attorney and
    travels and currently only has a terrible useless little netbook. Right before purchasing the computer I got a call that the IT guys at the office say that Macs are not compatible with this plug in travel phone thing they have (Sisco, I think it,s called). They say that the phone thing only works with windows...so my question is- if I install windows in the MBA, will that fix the problem? Also can Lion and Windows run on the same machine or does lione have to be un installed?

Thanks all!

2. KPOM macrumors G5

There's a "Windows on Mac" forum on this message board. You'll find more help there. But the short answer is that you can install Windows on a separate partition on your Mac using a built-in program called Boot Camp. When you boot up, you choose whether you enter Windows or OS X.

Alternatively, install Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion (each about $50), and you can install Windows in a "virtual machine" inside OS X and run Windows and OS X applications alongside each other. Either solution should work with the phone system since it acts just like any other Windows PC.

3. WhitneyGail thread starter macrumors newbie

4. SaintsMac macrumors 6502

To go with what KPOM said, you could download the trial version of either Parallels or VMWare Fusion to see if this solves your problem before going through the work of setting up a BootCamp partition.

5. TC25 macrumors 68020

I imagine it's Cisco, not Sisco, and I highly doubt your dad will want to reboot his MBA just to use the plugin travel phone which would be required with Bootcamp. Install Parallels or VMWare, install a version of Windows compatible with the Cisco Software. Done.