Windows on a mac...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Battlefield Fan, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Alrighty so the short story is that I currently am a senior going to be a freshman at college in fall of 2009.

I have been lucky enough to use macs all my life. I am going to be studying computer engineering technology.

Thing is that all of the programs at the college are run on XP. Now I kinda know about boot camp but my question is...

Does boot camp running XP or Vista have any set backs? Is it the SAME EXACT operating system that I would find on a dell or HP?

other info:
    looking at a mbp
    love using the mac for creative keynote projects and using final cut along with iMovie.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

A Mac runs Windows exactly like any other computer with the same hardware.

3. DaveF macrumors 6502a

No drawbacks. Windows in BootCamp is fully, completely Windows.

I use BootCamp and Parallels and have run MS Office, various games, MS Money, OpenOffice, Matlab, and DVD ripping software. For more details, you should look in the Windows on a Mac forum of the site.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It's the same operating system...

but Apple's drivers are horrid. Battery life is worse, and I've heard that the new Macbook and Macbook Pro trackpad doesn't really work under bootcamp.

OS X with Windows under VMware is great. XP or Vista on bootcamp is at best nothing special.

5. 204467 macrumors 6502a

No, it is the exact same OS. Windows runs at native speed and all your Windows programs runs without a problem (as long as you have the proper hardware to run them).

6. Battlefield Fan thread starter macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

thanks guys!

My next question is for any one who uses/used a computer at college. Most colleges have computer labs with the software on the computers. Will they allow students to put programs that they used in class such as visual basic on their laptop?

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I was dirt cheap back in college so I just used Microsoft's Express Edition of Visual Studio. The full version was only $40. Keep in mind I still have those $40 and got a B in a mind destroying filter course.

8. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

the only problem with boot camp is the clock if you change it under windows it will be wrong when you go back to osx. advice if you use boot camp get a mouse. bluetooth is fine. some colleges have special deals with microsoft. i was able to get xp 32 64, vista, visual studio server 2k3 and more for free. except office

9. Dimarco macrumors member

I'm pretty sure you can get visual basic for free from a few different places. I can't remember were but just search it I'm sure you'll find something.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

11. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Yes, Windows is still Windows. The hardware can't change much of the OS. Leopard was just designed so perfectly that the experience is much better than Windows.