Windows on a MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by soccerb12ku, Jun 4, 2009.

1. soccerb12ku macrumors member

I plan on getting a MacBook 2.4 and I was wondering If you think that it is worth it or not putting windows on it? Does putting windows on your mac slow it down at all or anytihng? I would use windows for AutoCAD and some games maybe if I put it on (I dont need it though)...so im just wondering if it will slow it down or if it is worth it if, even if I don't use it much. And if you think I should do it should I use boot camp or parralells?

thanks for any help!

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I use BootCamp for my basic Windows needs. I chose that route because I'm cheap, and BootCamp is Free, as is Windows7 Beta/RC1 (For now, it'll expire 10/22).

The OS X partition is completely unaffected by the Windows partition, and with the updated BootCamp drivers, 7 runs flawlessly.

Search around or use MRoogle (http://mroogle.*************/), you'll find tons of threads on this topic.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

BootCamp with Win7 RC is your best bet, bud..

4. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

If you can do without it... leave it off.

Were it not for this one lone piece o' crap application I need for my job (coded for MS-DOS :D), I'd have weened my mac from windows long ago.

5. JCastro macrumors 6502a

If you will use Windows then it is worth it.

My last MBP I used Windows via VMWare. I have Windows running via Bootcamp on my current MBP. I really think I prefer using VMWare or Parallels
    though. I don't Windows very often and when I do it is usually for a about 5-30 minutes of work. I end up hating to have to reboot twice for just that and I am usually doing something on the OS X side at the same time which really makes it a pain. It is one or the other so I end up waiting until I get to my office at some point and jump on a PC to deal with it. With VMWare/Parallels I could use it like any other application and could go back and forth and shut it back down after I am done.

Just my thoughts and experience. Hope it helps out.

-JC-

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

Just so you know the RC doesnt expire until June 1st, 2010 with bi hourly shutdowns beginning March 1st, 2009

7. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

In theory wouldn't bootcamp be better for running games on windows than WMVare/Paralles since they are keeping Apples OS running simultaneously?

8. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

how much space do you guys usually partition for windows?

9. bobnugget macrumors regular

Are you a student at college/university? If you are, you can download Windows Server 2008 for free from Microsoft via the dreamspark program - it's like a slightly faster version of Vista, and will do pretty much anything Vista can with a little bit of tweaking.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Virtualization is nearly useless for games. Most games require direct access to 3D graphics hardware.

One alternative if your needs are modest is VirtualBox which is a free virtualization program.

11. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

Don't use, when I fled windows after using MS products since DOS 4.2. I broke the mirror and am not looking back.

12. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

I personally don't plan to use Windows. I mean, all I need is Office, and I'll get the Mac version of the software.