Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghigby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
So I just bought a new MBP. I wanted to upgrade my 12" powerbook for my wife to use. She's a physician and needs to access medical records from the hospital. Unfortunately they only work with internet explorer. I upgraded it to Leopard and now am trying to find a work around for this on her G4. I know that Virtual PC doesn't work on Leopard. There was some wine program that only works on dual cores. VMware and Parrallels only work on dual core. I tried downloading the old version of IE but it's not supported anymore and doesn't work either. Any other ideas or suggestions? The website we are accessing for her records is http://www.md.westcare.org. Click on the left button and there it is. Is there some plugin that I can get to use this or am I just stuck? I'm starting to wish I hadn't wasted my money on a fresh copy of leopard.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
No plug ins that I know of and you can only run Windows on an Intel machine. Sell the Powerbook along with the extra copy of Leopard and buy her a notebook PC. Dell, Sony, Toshiba, HP, all make very good portables that are not expensive. She can then access the medical records and run whatever other medical software she needs.

Regards.

ghigby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
That's only supported by dual core

I checked that out already. Can't use it unless you have a dual core

RealaT

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
If you enable the Develop menu in Safari and change the User Agent to IE7 it will let you access the login page. Don't know if it actually works any further than that of course but it's worth a try.

There are several ways to enable the Develop menu, I used Onyx

hogmog

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2006
Thames Valley, UK
Virtual PC running XP works fine on my PB G4 1.67 15 and 10.5.5 - with the exception that there is no access to the DVD drive or USB ports (Leopard seems to have killed those off - and there are other threads on here about this). Internet via Ethernet port and IE 7 is fine. If I need to install new software from disk then I have to copy from install disk to the "shared network drive" which I set up when I installed VPC to enable files to be written/read/shared between OS X and XP - a pain bit it works. Have to confess have not tried printing from XP but again use the shared drive anyway. It may therefore be worthwhile trying to get a copy of VPC (if you don't have it already) and giving it a try.

ghigby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Thanks, I'll check that out.

I just downloaded OnyX and I'll see if I can figure that out. Yeah, usually you can't get to the login page without it telling you the browser isn't supported.

Thanks!

ghigby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Changing the user agent

How do I change the user agent to IE 7? Can't quite figure that one out. I enabled the develop menu. It says that it adds something new to the menu somewhere?

Guy Incognito

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2006
You don't need Onyx to enable the developer menu.

Safari > Preferences > Advanced > Show develop menu in menu bar

ghigby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Didn't quite work

Changing the agent to IE7 worked to get in and see patient names. After that it just sort of froze. Where would I get a copy of Virtual PC? All she really needs it for is IE so I wouldn't care about DVD drives. It says that Virtual PC is discontinued?

freewardeluxe

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2008
is the for real?

wow! thanks for all of those ideas! its really awesome. I'm just starting my MAC fantacy. hehehe

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.