windows on air

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by silver163, Nov 28, 2010.

1. silver163 macrumors newbie

2. psirix macrumors member

Do you plan on using boot camp or virutalization software? If you don't have a USB SuperDrive you may want to consider using VMware, Parallels, or VirtualBox so you can just attach an iso to the virtual machine and install. If you plan on using Boot Camp, look at this post - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=631901 You will need a way to convert the contents of the DVD to a USB thumb drive, so if you have another machine around and a spare USB thumb drive that would be ideal. Personally I would just look at using VM software, but it depends on what you need Windows on the MBA for.

3. captkirkmtl macrumors newbie

you can use an external optical drive and use it to install Windows 7 using VirtualBox. I personally would highly suggest installing Windows XP on virtualBox.

Side Note: You can technically install windows 7 or XP via a USB stick, but its a hard process. I suggest an external optical drive , used by VirtualBox (google VirtualBox). Its great software !

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Remote Disk. There are instructions all over the internet for installing Windows via Remote Disk. With remote disk, you basically put the disc in another computer, either Mac or Windows (the latter requiring the OSX Disc or Thumb Drive to setup remote disk the first time), then when the MBA starts up, you can boot off of that remote disk, over WiFi and install that way. It is a bit cumbersome, but should work. Otherwise, a $20 external CD/DVD drive would allow you to install with no problem.

TEG

5. psirix macrumors member

I didn't know Remote Disk was supported at bootup...good to know, thanks!

6. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Only for OSX, not for Windows installs.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4410

7. silver163 thread starter macrumors newbie

I forgot to mention but I also don't want to run this virtualized, I want to run it natively (or as much as possible). About Boot Camp, what do I need? I don't have a macbook, never owned one.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

For me, the upshot of that thread has always been. USB boot doesn't work reliably even with rEFIt so don't bother.

The two methods that do seem to work reliably to Boot Camp recent Macs without a SuperDrive are detailed in this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=601414

1. Use VM software (even a free trial) to install the ISO into your Boot Camp partition then reboot it natively to complete the install
    2. Use steps similar to the creation of a USB installer, but target a throwaway partition on your Mac. Boot from that to complete the install.

B

9. dwild0ne macrumors newbie

Windows 7 on My MacBook Air!

I just got a MacBook Air over the weekend. I came across this link and more or less followed it to get Windows 7 installed on my machine. rEFit worked perfectly for me. I was able to get things set up in a couple hours and now have it set up through VMware Fusion as well. Having the option of both is nice.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Thanks. I'll keep in mind that it may work better on the 2010 MBA than on other Macs, but I still wouldn't consider it a foolproof method for all Macs.

B