Windows on an external drive?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Zohra, May 8, 2011.

1. Zohra macrumors newbie

So I'm about to begin my set up of Boot Camp. I have an iso of Windows burned to a disc, have a legitimate key for that copy, and I have my Snow Leopard disc that came with my computer. I'm assuming then I would select "I have the Mac OS X installation disc that came with my Mac or I have already downloaded the Windows support software for this Mac to a CD, DVD, or external disk" and not chose the "Download the Windows support software for this Mac" when I'm in Boot Camp Assistent, but I'm not sure.

My main question though is, I happen to have a 500GB external HD. Could I actually use that drive to install my Windows on, or do I have to use part of my computer's HD for Windows? If I can use my external how do I do that? I've never done any of this so any help is appreciated.

2. alexpotter macrumors newbie

alexpotter

AFAIK, Windows cannot be installed to an IEEE 1394 device or to USB. It tells you this at the install screen.

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You cannot install Windows on an external drive. During Windows boot, it resets its USB/Firewire drivers so you'll get a blue screen during boot.

I believe eSata might work but I'm not 100% sure.