Windows on an external hard drive.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Gibsonfirebird1, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Gibsonfirebird1 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum. I have always read threads on here, but have never posted myself. I'm happy to join.

I have a new MacBook Pro 15 inch that came with a 750gb HDD.

I know that Boot Camp does not support installing Windows on an external hard drive. I have heard, from multiple sources, that there is a way to use Windows from a Boot Camp installation that was done internally on an external hard drive though (somehow using Winclone - http://twocanoes.com/winclone/ - which was recently updated). I am swapping out my 750gb HDD for a 250gb SSD, and want to use the 750gb HDD for a Windows Installation, externally. Is this possible? I cannot find a guide anywhere on how to do this.

I am pretty tech savvy, so if anyone has the answer of how this needs to be done, details not required. Let me know if there's any other information I can provide.

Thanks!

2. Rambaud macrumors newbie

I use Parallels and/or VM Fusion to run multiple versions of Windows on a external firewire drive.

However, I keep the main Windows installation on my SSD as it's much faster; and allocate as much RAM as possible (usually 4Gb).