Windows on Boot Camp or Parallels?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Kendo, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

I plan on getting Windows 7 and eventually upgrading to Windows 10. If you have only one license, is it best to use it on Boot Camp or run a VM like Parallels?

2. jlp2979 macrumors 6502

Depends on how much RAM you have. If you have 4gb and are running a virtual machine, OSX will also need to utilize that RAM at the same time. Could slow down performance. If you have 8gb RAM then it shouldn't be an issue assuming you only want to run 1 VM, just give 4gb to the VM and it will fly.

You won't have that problem with Bootcamp because Windows will be running natively and will have sole access to all of your RAM.

The advantage of running a VM is you don't need to dual boot, you can just open Parallels and be up and running. Also you can share files back and forth with Parallels. Also a menu will appear within OSX for the Windows programs, just click on the program and it will launch your VM.

If you have a 2015 Mac Bootcamp will not support Windows 7.

Honestly I've used both and they have both been fine. Bootcamp could be faster because you'll be running Windows natively. VM on the other hand is more convenient if you don't want to dual boot OSX and Windows.

3. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

I agree with all said. I wound up going with parallels because first off I got 6 months free and I like the ability (with a safari extension) to just click on the extension and open a page in internet explorer if it's something windows related and I am in yosemite.

4. zone23 macrumors 68000

I just activate them both, takes a 5 min phone call. Install bootcamp activate windows, setup Parallels call MS and activate again. Done. Now when ever you boot in one or the other it will stay activated.