Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Warhawk15

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2012
Does this mean I can't install Windows on my other SSD in my data doubler? :(
Would it work if I installed OSX on the second SSD and Windows on the first one?

IMG_1595.jpg

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I was never able to get windows on my old MBP with a data doubler installed, I didn't need it that bad so I gave up.

Warhawk15

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2012
Ok thanks for the answer, I'll just have my pictures, music, etc on the second disc and w7 & osx on my main disc.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Ok thanks for the answer, I'll just have my pictures, music, etc on the second disc and w7 & osx on my main disc.

That would be the way to go. Format your second disk with the exFAT file system so you can read from and write to it with both OS X and Windows.

jbpeeden

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2014
I was hoping to do this on my 2012 i7 MBP. Would it work if you removed the OSX HD from the main bay and installed Windows on a new SSD using a CD in the internal optical bay? After which I would move the Windows SSD to the optical bay using a data doubler and return the OSX SSD to the main HD bay. Also, are there any drivers I would need to install on Windows or would an installation from the Windows CD have everything I need?

I've been searching for ways to do this but I continue to get conflicted answers. I use Windows a lot for school but I much prefer OSX for just about everything else. My ideal set up would be to have 2 SSDs installed internally with the main for OSX and the optical bay for Windows.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Would it work if you removed the OSX HD from the main bay and installed Windows on a new SSD using a CD in the internal optical bay?

No.

Also, are there any drivers I would need to install on Windows or would an installation from the Windows CD have everything I need?

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1721

Download the .zip file from that link (~900 MB) and save it on a USB flash drive. Install Windows with Boot Camp Assistant. Once it completes, and you're at the desktop for the first time, copy the .zip file to your hard drive, extract it, and run the setup file contained within. It will install the necessary drivers. Afterward, you may wish to update your GPU drivers with the latest from Intel or NVIDIA, depending on which one your machine has. Keep in mind that GPU switching is not supported by a Mac running Windows. Your discreet GPU will run at all times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.