Windows on External HD?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ApoorvPrem, May 29, 2015.

1. ApoorvPrem macrumors regular

ApoorvPrem

Hi!

I am gonna upgrade in the next two months and was in a huge dilemma regarding the same. Now I am interested in getting the new 2015 Macbook Pro 15inch Iris Pro Model. But the problem is, with only 256 GB SSD I won't be able to manage - I need to use windows on Bootcamp and also I have a 128gb iPhone ( huge backups :roll eyes: ). Since I live in India I don't have the luxury of buying a customised Macbook - the next option is the 2.5ghz dGpu one which is close to 500 dollars more expensive ( Btw the base model in India is 2540 dollars :( ). Now what to do? Can I install windows on an external HD and use bootcamp with it? Is it possible ?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Yes, you can. I run Windows off an external SSD and it flies.

3. BeatCrazy macrumors 6502a

This might be a dumb question, but here goes....

Assume I follow your instructions for creating a standalone instance of W10 on an external SSD (no Bootcamp or VM), is this instance of Windows available simultaneously as my Yosemite OS? Or I'm booting one, or the other?

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's dual booting, so you can't run both OSes simultaneously.

If you want to run both OSes simultaneously, use Parallels or VMware Fusion (store the VM file in the external drive).

5. BeatCrazy macrumors 6502a

Ok that's what I was thinking, thanks again!