Windows on HDD in Optibay - how?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by anders.bloch, Jun 17, 2014.

1. anders.bloch macrumors newbie

Hey.

I have a problem regarding installing windows on an HDD which has replaced the optical drive in my Macbook Pro.
    I have an SDD in the main drive and i have managed to partition the HDD with windows, but it doesnt seem to be able to load from the optibay - "insert a bootable disc"...

I have looked around for solutions, but can't really seem to get it working (need a step-by-step)

How can i fix it?

2. UncleSchnitty macrumors 6502a

UncleSchnitty

How did you install windows? Boot camp, did you just insert the install disk and boot to that or did you clone a windows drive?

3. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Macbooks that come with an optical drive must install Windows from the optical drive.
    There is no way around this.

4. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

You can try this method to install Windows without the SuperDrive, but odds are good it's not going to work. Other than that, you're pretty much stuck. Windows must otherwise be installed from the internal SuperDrive to the hard drive that contains OS X.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Pull the drive and put the optical drive back into the Mac. Its the only way you'll be able to install windows - save yourself the grief and time of trying a work around.

6. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I've never done it but would it work if someone used an other identical MacBook model to install Windows from its own ODD to its own SSD and then removed that SDD and used it to replace the ODD in a second MacBook?
    Then MacBook (A) could replace its removed SSD and do a fresh install of OSX and still be in its out-of-the-box configuration and MacBook (B) would have two SSD, one with OSX and one with both OSX and Windows.