Windows on iMac late 09

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Robster3, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Robster3, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013

Robster3 macrumors 68000

I have just set up windows and a virtual machine (my old laptop) on my late 09 27 3.0gh 16gb ram using parallels. All went fine with transporter.
    Windows looks great bette than on my laptop, but the virtual machine is not as clear, still usable but not the same clarity. Is that as good as it will be or can it be adjusted?
    It seems a tad slower too not much but i noticed it, i only have 1gb ram allowed for the virtual machine, only want to use a couple of programmes i have in office, any ideas?
    Cheers

ps its windows vista ultimate.

2. Nuke61 macrumors 6502

You can change the resolution in Windows (VM) by the same method of going to Display Properties --> Settings and changing the resolution. Make sure you have the Parallels Tools installed.

A VM is going to be slower than the real thing, and 1GB of ram is enough for the VM for regular Office type applications.

3. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

thanks, got that sorted. I meant the mac seemed a bit slower maybe not.

Now that i have all that backed up with time machine if i get a new mbpr will i be able to transfer it all onto it. I would need to buy another copy of parallels right?
    Sorry for the dumb ? but all new to me.

4. Nuke61 macrumors 6502

If you mean your Mac seems slower while you have the VM running, that's normal. If you mean your Mac seems slower and the VM is either shutdown or suspended doesn't sound right.

As far as getting new Mac, you should be able to just import it via the Migration utility. I used to have Parallels and Fusion installed on my 2010 iMac. When I bought my 2012 iMac I kept Parallels and left Fusion on the now sold iMac. I just used the Migration tool and the Parallels VM (XP Pro) works just as it previously did.