WIndows on Mac mini 2.1

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by m4np4, Apr 24, 2018.

1. m4np4 macrumors newbie

I'm a proud user of a Mac Mini, 2006.
    I updated it to a 2,16GHz Core 2 Duo, 4Gb RAM and firmware 2,1; with OS X 10.8.4 MLPostFactor.
    I'm using it as my daily computer (don't need too much more), but now I need to install Windows to run some software for my busines I couldn't find on Mac.

Bur I'm unable to install any windows version.
    1. Boot Camp Assistant couldn't find my Windows images.
    2. If I partioned the HDD, I'm unable to boot with any USB drive or DVD with the windows images.
    3. I have also tried to boot to rEFIt and then boot to the USB with no success.
    Should I reinstall the OS and try again with boot camp? Could ML Post Factor affect the Boot Camp Assistant?
    Anyone knows a method to install a Windows version in my MacMini?

Sorry for any mistake with the message as I'm not fluent in english.
    Any advise will be helpful.

2. opeter macrumors 68000

opeter

Normally, if you insert your USB key and/or DVD with Windows installer on it and at the startup/booting hold the ALT key, there should the Windows install disk/USB showing up...

However I am nost sure if your Mac mini (2006) is supported by Bootcamp with Windows 7.
    If I am not mistaken, you need either Windows XP or Vista.

Look:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205016#tables

[​IMG]

Boot Camp requirements by Mac model
    Different Mac computers work with different versions of Windows. If you don't know which Mac you have, choose About This Mac from the Apple menu.

Each table entry includes one of these symbols or entries in each column.

• 4 or 5: These link to the manual download for the related version of the Windows support software (drivers) you need to install Windows on your Mac.
    • DVD: For older Mac computers, Windows drivers are located on the Mac OS X installation DVD that came with your computer.
    • Dash "-": This version of Windows is not supported on this Mac.
    Newer Mac computers work with later versions of Windows.

Additional video:

3. m4np4 thread starter macrumors newbie

I had updated the firmware of the macmini til 2.1, so the mac mini is as an mid 2007 model. In fact with the Boot Camp assistant, is asking for a Windows 7 image.

I have tried at the start up of the boot + ALT key with images of Windows XP, Vista and 7 with no success.

4. saulinpa macrumors 6502a

I'm wondering if you are not creating the USB/DVD properly.
    Anyway - if your Windows isn't high end try running VirtualBox and run Windows in a VM.

5. opeter macrumors 68000

opeter

6. mrkapqa macrumors member

i have installed Windows 7 withouth any problem on a MacMini1.1 but not with Bootcamp, i just inserted Windows Install Disc and installed Plain instead on OSX . Was shocked how fast it was compared to SL , which i thought always as superfast OS.
    After installing, i downloaded the Drivers for Bootcamp and got everything installed, even Bluetooth. Only downside was the Infrared port could not be used due to missing software for Windows, and yes, it was a bit loud (had upgraded the CPU to a T7400, though).
    --- Post Merged, Apr 26, 2018 ---
    you would need this software

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1630?locale=en_US

and the sounddriver is not the Realtek but Sigma one for the Macmini.

7. Roman78 macrumors member

Roman78

So i can tell a Mac Mini 1.1 can run Windows 7 32 bit and the 2.1 can run Windows 64 bit. So what Apple tells is BS. You need a Core2Duo for the 64-bit version.

How did you made the DVD? When you say "I'm unable to boot with any USB drive or DVD with the windows images.", hoe did you made it? The mini can't boot from an image or ISO file directly. And better use a DVD, USB can sometimes be tricky. Maybe you burn it wrong, because when the DVD is inserted and pressed the -ALT- Key during boot, you will see the DVD an could boot from it.

8. mrkapqa, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018

mrkapqa macrumors member

sorry but i can't remember if i installed windows only after upgrading the cpu from coreDuo to core2Duo .
    I did insert a Windows 7 64bit disc and just press C or it would pick it up regularly and ask to press any key. from there i would proceed with installation and afterwards install drivers.
    if you have osx already installed you could try with refit or refind boot manager and see if the CD/DVD gets recognized at startup. helped me alot.

the cpu upgrade went ok, but now the macmini runs a lot hotter , unfortunately, and is not well able to process the heat. besides, it is very stable with snow leopard or windows. even linux runs pretty well.

9. shaunp macrumors 68000

If it's just one piece of software then consider running it inside a virtual machine. Virtual Box should be good enough for this and it is free. It will be a lot easier than trying to get Windows working on an old Mac Mini

10. Roman78 macrumors member

Roman78

I use MacFanControll on all Apple computers. The Mini whit Core2Duo upgrade runs hot indeed. Strangly i have 2 Mini's 1.1 whit Core2Duo in it. One Running 10.6.8 and the other 10.4.11. The one whit 10.4 runs much cooler.

11. mrkapqa macrumors member

i got an "real" macmini 2.1 that had no such issues and was running much more cool ... after harddisk crash went for an 120 GB Samsung SSD and did dualboot Lion and Debian Squeeze/Wheezy with the help of Refit/Refind ... Debian Squeeze was running great and also Wheezy was a pleasure, but it was bit difficult installing it in the first place. For some strange reason Ubuntu was much for difficult to pick up from the installation CD ;
    Yes, MacFanControl is a great useful program; with the Macmini 2.1 i just used SSDFanControl, that was enough.
    But for the Macmini 1.1 i have not found a solution; Maybe i will give Tiger a try, have never used it on Intel.