Windows on Mac or dedicated windows machine

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mockford, Jul 5, 2016.

1. mockford macrumors member

Hi all,

I need some advise, I need to get a copy of Windows 10 for some studies i'm doing that requires windows. Should I just get a copy of windows and run it via bootcamp or something similar. Or should I just buy a dedicated windows machine?

What are your thoughts on this?

2. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

Depends on how extensively you'll need to be using it IMO. For example, I needed W10 for one program in one class last semester, so I just installed it using Parallels on my MBP. Worked great, plus I could switch seamlessly between OS X and Windows.

However, if running in a VM won't provide enough power for the task you're performing, Bootcamp might be a better option. I don't see getting a separate machine being a good choice unless you for some reason need the two separate machines.

3. EPICcake808 macrumors newbie

I agree with estabya. If you're not going to be using Windows for lots of Windows-only things, just install Windows on it. It's a lot cheaper than buying a PC, and it only take takes a few minutes to install. I did this on my Macbook Air for school, and I think it's worth it if you're not going to be doing intense gaming on Windows. I do have a gaming PC at home, and I do love it, but I only use it for gaming. I always do my schoolwork on my Macbook, whether I need to use Windows or OS X for it.

EDIT: As for the VM or Bootcamp, I like Bootcamp better, because I need Windows for video editing as well, but if you don't need to do cpu or graphics intensive tasks, a VM should work. Also, some VMs allow you to merge Bootcamp and the VM, allowing you to access Windows using the VM or by booting up in Windows. I would probably get a copy of Parallels or VMware Fusion just in case you're interested in doing this.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

There is always going to be a performance loss when using a virtualized environment. Unless the program needs "bare metal" performance, then it will do just fine in a VM with how powerful both virtualization programs and Macs are today. I would only suggest Boot Camp strictly if you are gaming or doing CPU intensive tasks like video editing, audio editing, or compiling. Parallels offers the ability to install via Boot Camp and to use the Boot Camp partition as a VM, and I am sure VMware has developed a similar solution as @EPICcake808 stated.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It's really a personal preference question.
    Do you want to use 2 machines? You can find a decent windows machine for not too much money, but bootcamp will be the cheapest option (just a windows license).

I'd opt for bootcamp personally, but there's also VirtualBox which is an open source virtualization app, so you can run windows inside OS X for no more money other then the license.

6. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

If the program you will be using is not that demanding, I would run Windows in a VM. VirtualBox from Oracle is free and works very well.

7. mockford thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for all your responses, they have been very useful.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Report back if you have any questions.