Windows on mac question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sjohnson4382, Feb 1, 2009.

1. sjohnson4382 macrumors member

Anyone have an idea where i can get a copy of windows to put on my mac that doesnt cost out the wazoo? I have a couple of pcs that have the restore windows xp cds but don't have a full copy of windows to put on my mac. I only need it for a couple of programs, one being my sky caddy, and a couple of other things. Any ideas?

2. ChargingMuffin macrumors newbie

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

And the beta has stopped now, so he won't be able to. Buy XP from Newegg.

4. Bulldog VII macrumors 6502

Bulldog VII

HI

As the BETA thingie has now been used up anyone else have any ideas how we can get windows on our macs??

5. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Buy it
    Or pirate it.

6. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

You just need a copy of Windows. It's more expensive than Leopard is for your Mac, but if you need it... I guess you need it.

7. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

You can get a legal copy of XP that Microsoft calls a "System Builder" disk for $89 (XP Home) at newegg.com here, or XP Pro for $139.00 here. It is available at other reputable dealers at similar prices (including frys.com- also available in-store).

System Builder disks are identical to retail disks (which are about twice the price) with two exceptions:
    • They are supplied in a sealed padded envelope rather than a retail shelf box
    • Their EULA only authorizes them for usage on one system

Whatever anybody does, I would just suggest you do not buy any software from any of sites that come up as a result of kastenbrust's "**************************" link!

That "cheap xp" search string is the perfect one to find all the "cheap/oem/pirated/scam" software sites in the universe! There is a sticky somewhere about this I believe but I will darned if I can find it right now, so here are a couple of links where you can read more about these sites if you are interested:
    Cheap Software SPAM
    How to Spot and Avoid Software Scams
    Software Scams on the Rise

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Haha sorry, i was just a bit fed up on that day :p Sometimes people come on here wanting free stuff, donations, or the impossible, and somtimes they just need a good slap of common sense.

9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

MacRumors does not condone the piracy of software in any form and will delete any reference to it if found.

Feel free to get ripped off and install virus ridden versions of a crap OS on your machines however, then when you ask for help with your hopelessly compromised machine, we can all have a good laugh.

10. Bulldog VII macrumors 6502

Bulldog VII

Thanks for the replies

One last question, my wife has a lap-top & has the start up disc etc for XP. Can I use this with her codes??

We are about to throw away her lap-top anyway as it's sooooo slow!!

Thansk

11. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Most likely it wont even work, especially if you intend to use the old machines restore disks, and if it did doing so would be a violation of the EULA if you intend to install it on an entirely different machine using that machines codes.

12. Bulldog VII macrumors 6502

Bulldog VII

I think I'll just stick with what I've got then!! :)

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you work at a corporation and use it for work, they might be able to get you
    CORPORATE edition which has less problems with activation.

14. oneEG6 macrumors member

Depending on your needs, maybe you can just use Crossover for Mac? Works great with what few windows apps I need.