Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
If I load Parallels or Fusion but DO NOT go on the Internet with anything other than Safari-3, am I safe from any virus that might invade the installed Windows program? I do not read disks or files from anyone else in Windows.

Thanks for your help.

nemex

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Mexico
If you go to the internet using Windows running under VMWare or Parallels (Bootcamp or virtual machine) even with Safari 3 for windows, you are still running Windows, so you are potentially exposed to get a virus. In that case you most likely will need to recreate your windows machine, or if you have a clean snapshot you could roll back to a previous state before the virus infected you.

Cheers :apple:

multitudes2003

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2007
So is the answer to install a virus software in windows

Nearly 2 weeks ago I switched from PC to Mac (loving every minute :apple:) but am running Windows XP in Parallels for some educational PC software for my children to use (actually those are the minutes when I am a bit nervous:)).

If I want to get updates for XP I will need to go on line - is the best answer to install a virus software in XP to protect my iMac? Haven't gone on line yet in windows as wasn't sure if would be exposing iMac to viruses so thanks nemex for clearing that one up in your previous post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.