windows on mac.....

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Kalashnikov, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Kalashnikov macrumors member

hello everyone quick question
    I want to run windows on my mbp for college purposes. I primarily want to use microsoft word but i want to have the windows rest of windows as well. At my college they are running imac's that boot with the option of choosing windows or mac. What software are they using to do that?? Can someone recommend a software? I have seen some at the apple store but i have never used any so im not sure which one would be right for me.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Read the links provided and come back with a more detailed explanation of what you expect your workflow to be like.

B

3. Cphaggar macrumors newbie

First, you can use Microsoft office on your Mac without having you install windows on your machine. I'm sure you are already aware of that.

Second, every Mac comses preloaded with a program that is called bootcamp. The way that you described the computers at your school, I'm positive that is what they used.

You don't need anything except your Mac, and copy of windows to do that, simply run bootcamp, select the size partition you want, and install windows. From that moment on you will be able to boot up in OSx or in windows.

If you're not going to be gaming or photo editing(or anything that would be stressful on the computer) you could get a program like vmware fusion, or parallels that would allow you to open windows while running OSx at the same time.

4. Kalashnikov thread starter macrumors member

sorry i meant to say i wanted to run windows with all of its features..... thanks for the reply's and the links provided it cleared up all that i needed to know!:apple: