Windows on Mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by deuce22, Feb 8, 2013.

1. deuce22 macrumors newbie

Hi.

I apologies if this has been written about already, but I'm finding, that the info I'm coming across is dated.

I have a Macbook with Leopard 10.6.8.

I would like something that lets me swap between both OS without having to restart.

I don't won't to be paying a fortune, so I'm happy to either use an online service, over buying a Windows disk (if it is cheaper).

Thanks.

2. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Well there are 2 ways you can enjoy Windows on your Mac, but in both of them you still need to buy a legal copy of Windows. May it be XP, Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8. It all depends on what your model and year of the computer.

There are ways to install Windows and have it running at the sametime you while working the Mac at the same time. No reboot is needed, but if you want to play any games then you are going to want to boot into Bootcamp

Parallels and Fusion are the main good ones to use, there is a free virtualizsion softwaare but from what I'm told it's not for a beginer (I could be wrong).

Hugh

3. Holmes093, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013

Holmes093 macrumors 6502

Holmes093

Good Afternoon,

There are multiple tools you can use to do this, some free and some paid.

Free - Virtualbox

Paid - Parallels
    Fusion

The paid ones are more user friendly than Virtualbox, but suprisingly virtualbox does a great job.

Virtualbox however lacks some of the features of the paid such as client to host copying (you can't copy a file to and from your virtual machine from your main machine).

In regards to Windows, you can try Windows for free for up to 120days. Not sure if that is all the time you need windows for or if you need it longer, but yes you can legally try it free of charge for 120 days. To do this you simply install using a Windows ISO and then once your initial 30 day period is over you just re-arm.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...will_run_120_days_for_free_Microsoft_confirms

4. printz macrumors regular

Can I use VirtualBox to connect to my Boot Camp Windows installation?

5. Holmes093 macrumors 6502

Holmes093

You sure can:

http://phaq.phunsites.net/2011/03/05/sharing-windows-7-between-boot-camp-and-virtualbox/