Windows on Mac?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by flamer7, Dec 26, 2013.

1. flamer7 macrumors newbie

Hey there guys I would just like to know, why does my Bootcamp Windows not detect the intel graphics card? Also, I am thinking of FULLY installing Windows on my Mac, do you think it will detect the intel graphics card then, because the BIGGEST issue is currently the fact it can detect, and because of this only using the nvidia card gives me 1-2 hour battery life on normal usage(browsing, reading), whereas there is 6 hours of battery life in the mac side.

I am using the Macbook Pro 15" Retina 2013, top spec one. If anyone can help me, or if anyone here has FULLY installed windows in their mac, do reply!

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Boot Camp does NOT include drivers for the integrated Intel graphics card. It only has drivers for the discrete GPU. So you can't use it like NVIDIA Optimus.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

Bootcamp IS full Windows. You're just running into a limitation on how Apple configured the hardware when the MacBook Pro was designed.

4. leman macrumors 604

Apple uses its own hardware solution to switch GPUs, which is very different from Nvidia Optimus. To support this solution under Windows would require custom Nvidia and Intel drivers - and it seems that the parties are very interested into investing into that. This is why Bootcamp is hardwired to use the dGPU only.

Now, going the Optimus route is probably the 'easier' option. One need to hack Bootcamp into activating the iGPU instead of the dGPU, and in addition, make the Nvidia driver recognise the MBP as a valid Optimus platform. I have no idea whether this is possible at all without modifying the driver's code itself.

5. flamer7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I wish you could hack it :(

----------

By full windows I mean removing mac and installing windows only

6. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

You could use Parallels, with your windows bootcamp partition, then it will use the intel chip for video.

7. chrfr macrumors 603

In any case, that won't affect which GPU Windows uses.

8. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

That essentially defeats the purpose of owning a Mac. Might as well buy a traditional Windows notebook.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That would be no different than running Windows in Boot Camp. Removal of OS X won't change anything at all with your Windows installation. Running Windows in Boot Camp IS "full Windows", just as if you installed it on a PC.

10. flamer7 thread starter macrumors newbie

But you can barely game, it lags alot, I tried :(

----------

Honestly, I bought it for the build

----------

That does make sense :/

11. murphychris macrumors 6502a

Not recommended unless you can get EFI booting to work instead of CSM-BIOS. The CSM-BIOS mode boot doesn't enable integrated graphics, or fully support AHCI or ACPI therefore battery life is not as good and fast drives fall back to ATA-7 which translates into much slower SSD speeds compared to a SATA Rev. 3.0 link supported by EFI booting. And it won't be possible to do firmware updates, should they become available.

12. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

You said 'browsing and reading'.. not gaming. Gaming you'd want the 750m, if you game you will of course have little to know battery life it's CPU/GPU intensive..

13. OnceYouGoMac macrumors 6502

Why would you do that? It makes a lot of Mac users sad :( I can understand having a Windows partition for a specific purpose like Windows games or business/academic software (I have a partition for games) but removing OSX altogether is just wrong. :(