Windows On Mac!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macintoshpie, Jan 30, 2008.

1. macintoshpie macrumors newbie

macintoshpie

Hey, im not sure if anybody has posted this before or anything, but i found an awesome program to run windows programs.
    Its called Cross Over, and works like magic. i can now use like ibrikr and stuff for my iphone, or get microsoft word 2003 and use it w/ out buying the mac disc. you can download programs off the internet and run them with it, or rip stuff off a windows installation disc.
    HERES THE LINK: http://www.codeweavers.com/products/download_trial_macosx/
    :D

2. Komiksulo macrumors 6502

I have it (even paid for it!). It's a 'compatibility layer' that gives Windows programs what they need without actually involving Windows. It is only guaranteed to work with certain specific programs (Photoshop 6, for example) that have been tested and conformed to be okay; newer versions of those programs may not work.

If it works, great; however, it didn't work with Windows software I wanted to use, even though it was old. (HOT2000, to be specific). I bought a copy of XP and VMWare Fusion and now use the real thing. :)

I ran Dreamweaver 4 on it without problem, though.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Cross-over is good but unfortunately has limited support for applications.

Most will probably find Parallels or VMWare running a full install of Windows XP to be a better fit depending on their needs.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I think it's been discussed once or twice...

BTW, CO's got a lot of shortcomings compared to a VM or Boot Camp, just so you don't anticipate being able to run anything you want with it. It's another available tool, but probably the weakest one of the bunch for a high level of usability.

Attached Files: