Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macintoshpie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2007
Hey, im not sure if anybody has posted this before or anything, but i found an awesome program to run windows programs.
Its called Cross Over, and works like magic. i can now use like ibrikr and stuff for my iphone, or get microsoft word 2003 and use it w/ out buying the mac disc. you can download programs off the internet and run them with it, or rip stuff off a windows installation disc.
HERES THE LINK: http://www.codeweavers.com/products/download_trial_macosx/
:D

Komiksulo

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2008
Ontario
I have it (even paid for it!). It's a 'compatibility layer' that gives Windows programs what they need without actually involving Windows. It is only guaranteed to work with certain specific programs (Photoshop 6, for example) that have been tested and conformed to be okay; newer versions of those programs may not work.

If it works, great; however, it didn't work with Windows software I wanted to use, even though it was old. (HOT2000, to be specific). I bought a copy of XP and VMWare Fusion and now use the real thing. :)

I ran Dreamweaver 4 on it without problem, though.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Cross-over is good but unfortunately has limited support for applications.

Most will probably find Parallels or VMWare running a full install of Windows XP to be a better fit depending on their needs.

JNB

macrumors 604
I think it's been discussed once or twice...

BTW, CO's got a lot of shortcomings compared to a VM or Boot Camp, just so you don't anticipate being able to run anything you want with it. It's another available tool, but probably the weakest one of the bunch for a high level of usability.

Attachments

• Mac Forums - Search Results.jpg
    Mac Forums - Search Results.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 69
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.