Windows on Macbook Pro - ME294TU/A

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by VeyselOzan, Jun 20, 2014.

1. VeyselOzan macrumors newbie

Hello,

I 'm an old minded guy who is using Windows for last 20 years and who wants to have a Macbook for last 10 years :) Always wanted, but had problems with the softwares that I was using.

And last week, I just bought it. I do not know anything about the operation system and I Think I will post too much as I have many many silly questions :)

My first problem is to have Windows (XP, 7 or 8, no problem with that) as I have some softwares. In fact one of the main reason is that, please let me know if I am wrong, but you can not have a path like "d:\dropbox\abc.xls". Because I have an excel file, which I can not change the formulas in it and one vlookup formula that is taking value from "d:\dropbox\abc.xls". And in Mac, even I install dropbox, I can not install it to a partition called "d:", right?

Because of the software need and also this Excel issue, I want to install Windows 8.

My questions:

1. Parallel is a good solution but the performance is lower, right?
    2. With bootcamp, does the performance decreases compared with a Notebook designed for Windows (I have 512 SSD, 2.3 i7 processor and 16 GB ram. Lets assume that the other will also have the same system properties).
    3. May be this is a sill question but Outlook is using PST files. Is there a way to use the same PST file both in Mac and in Windows?

Many thanks...

2. Jeff Flowerday macrumors regular

1) Yes.
    2) No.
    3) Yes. You could create a partition that both could read. Formatted exFat or something.

3. VeyselOzan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

But I will need Microsoft Office for Mac also in Mac OS? Because default mail client cannot read PST files in MAC?

4. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

If all you need Windows for is Office, you can install the alternate OS with Parallels or VMWare and run it that way.

5. VeyselOzan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, the Excel that I'm going to use is using terrible source :) So I need a clean seperate Windows for performance :)