Windows on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by tximacusr, Dec 18, 2014.

1. tximacusr, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014

tximacusr macrumors member

I have some music software that runs only on Windows.
    Can I run Windows 7 or 8 on my 2013 manufactured macbook pro?
    If so, can I switch back to OS when I finish using working with Windows?
    And, how much is Windows 7 or 8? Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. johnh57 macrumors regular

There are a couple ways to do it.

Cheapest is to just create a bootcamp partition on your hard disk - bootcamp is free and is included in your mac operating system. Then buy Windows 7 $100 +/- install it on the partition. You reboot the machine to switch operating systems. Bootcamp will put an icon in the upper right hand side of the screen, click on it and it will ask you if you want to re-boot into windows. Also you can hold down the ALT key when you reboot and it will ask you if you want to boot to mac or windows. You get 100 % system dedication to whatever os you are running.

The other way to do it is to buy Parallels or VMware and set up a windows virtual machine on your mac. Install windows and whatever software you want onto the virtual machine. This way you can run windows within a window on the mac without rebooting anything. It does carve out 1/2 of your cpu cores and 1/2 of your memory and allocate it to the windows virtual machine.

4. tximacusr thread starter macrumors member

Sounds like a pain in the butt.
    What about just buying a (gasp) Windows-based PC to run these apps?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its actually not that hard.

Sure you can buy a cheap pc for the apps, but then you have two computers to work with.

Bootcamp:
    Start bootcamp assistant, it walks you through creating a bootable USB, and then partitions the disk. The computer reboots and you start the windows install. I can't imagine it being any easier.

Virtualization:
    Download/install Vmware or Parallels and install it
    Create a new VM which will then install windows (provided you have your windows disk/ISO handy).

Again a very simple process.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What kind of music software is it? There's likely a Mac app that does the same thing.

7. tximacusr thread starter macrumors member

I purchased some music hardware and got Cakewalk and some VST apps for free that are only Windows-based.

8. tximacusr thread starter macrumors member

Do you guys know if I can do the same with my mid-2010 iMac?
    It seems cheaper to buy VMware Fusion that a PC laptop.
    Appreciate your responses.

9. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Assuming your MacBook Pro is one with a Retina display, you will want to buy Windows 8.1 as it comes with proper support for ultra-high-resolution displays. You can buy the full version of the OS (so you can port the installation to a new Mac if you upgrade down the road) for about $100, give or take, online.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can use Boot Camp, Parallels, VMware Fusion or Crossover with any Mac running OS X made in the past several years. The Mac model is irrelevant.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Even if you buy the VMWare Fusion software, you are still responsible to purchase a legal copy of Windows. You may just want to use Boot Camp since it offers full bare metal performance which may be necessary for your music software.