Windows on MBA - OEM System Builder Pack

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by 3bs, Jul 10, 2012.

1. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I ordered what I thought was Windows 7 Home Premium from eBay and I got this. I don't want to open it because then I can't return it. I want to make sure I can use it to install using Bootcamp?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341922511.498912.jpg

2. silverjam macrumors regular

Hard to know if it will work. But all I can say is that whenever I have had problems with Windows Genuine and Keys I call the number it gives you when you try to Activate it and choose Phone Activation. You choose your location and it gives you 24/7 phone numbers to call. Its not fool proof but MS is fairly flexible with activation if you are willing to go through the process.

Silver

3. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

I'm reading that this won't come with support so I don't know if I'll be able to call them?

4. SpoekGTi macrumors regular

It will work, but as you read right, the tech support for windows will not be available to you unless you pay MS. These are usually only licenses that are used by people who build their own PC or stores that build systems to sell to costumers, the store should be the one then you should talk to if you need support.

5. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

Got it to work! In boot camp and Parallels.

When I set it up in parallels I used my boot camp partition. It said that I'd have to activate Windows again. Does that mean I can only use this version of Windows on either Parallels or Boot camp? I'm using an OEM System Builder Pack of W7 and I think that's supposed to be only installed on one machine and I read that using VM's like Parallels makes it seem like I'm using another machine.

6. SpoekGTi macrumors regular

Technicly its a machine issue, boot camp is a machine (your mac) and if you use a virtual PC (of any kind) it identifies it i think as a different machine, it could be possible to try and activate it, just see what it does.

7. DJTechz macrumors newbie

Hi,

Sorry to dig up an old thread but was wondering, did you manage to activate the OEM license in both Parallels (using the boot camp partition) and boot camp?

Thanks