Windows on MBA without Superdrive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by andrewp, Jan 30, 2009.

1. andrewp macrumors member

Is there some way to install Windows vista/xp on my MBA without using the superdrive?

I'm thinking whether it would be possible to install it from a bootable USB or HDD, I've read something about it, but I'm not sure how it will work out?

Can anyone give me a hint? :)

2. dborja macrumors 6502a

Yes, you can. Copy the WinXP install disk onto an ISO file on the drive then mount it...

3. Minuteman3 macrumors member

Minuteman3

Although I have not tried it with a Mac, I just did an install of Windows 7 on a Acer One netbook using a USB thumb drive. Just formatted the USB drive to clear everything out, copied the disk files (*.*) from the Windows 7 install DVD to the US thumb drive on my desktop, plugged the USB drive into the Acer and then ran SETUP. Worked like a charm!!

Cheers!!

Ken

4. EnderTW macrumors 6502

I did that, but I used parallels. Just use the ISO file, parallels will install through the iso file.

As far as bootcamp, no. You need to use a disk.

5. dborja macrumors 6502a

You're right. I assumed that the OP was doing it through Parallels, VMFusion or VirtualBox...

6. djrobx macrumors member

Use WinClone to clone an existing boot camp install on another Mac. Be warned that it will not shrink a partition - so if you create a Boot Camp paritition specifically for this purpose, make it small.

I have a cheap USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA adapter and used that to connect an IDE drive I had lying around and it worked like a charm.

7. Rondue macrumors regular

Morale of the storey: If you have the bucks to splurg on a MBA buy a freaking super drive jeez

8. justit macrumors 6502a

^^^ Any off the shelf USB powered drive seems to work, I've got an LG Slim DVD-R