Windows on MBP question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TodVader, Oct 13, 2008.

1. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

Tomorrow, I will finally upgrade to a MBP from my old 1.3GHz iBook. I will install Vista. I want to know if I can use the same Windows on bootcamp and the APP that runs it in OS X? Do I need 2 different Windows installations or do they both share the same?

2. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Yea, you can. You will have to reactivate the key under the emulation software, and you might reach the activation limit. In that case, you would have to call Microsoft up. Not really a big deal. Just call the toll-free number provided, explain to them that you are running Windows through an emulation software in Mac, and they'll give you a key to enter in.

Takes less than 5 minutes. :)

3. TodVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

TodVader

That means they are 2 different installations? Can't we just use the same on bootcamp and emulation? Lets say I just want to use simple windows apps so I use emulation. Then, I want to go play Diablo 3:rolleyes: and reboot to bootcamp but still use the same Windows inatallation I used in emulation.

Is this possible?

4. TodVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

TodVader

I hate bumping but I'd really like an answer to this. If you need 2 different Windows installations, I really hope they fix this soon. Id like to use the same one in bootcamp & emulation for the sake of HD space and not having to do maintenance on two Windows!

Thanks

5. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

They are not separate installations. The only reason you will need to activate it in your emulation software is because it has a "different" hardware configuration. When you update windows in bootcamp it will update in your emulation software. There is no need to have two installations.

6. TodVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

TodVader

Thanks! Just what I needed to know.