Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hellzprince1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
so i just got the new mbp 2.4 ghz 15.4 inch. I wanted to know wether it is a good idea to put windows on it or will this slow the computer down a lot.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
It depends if you need Windows to do what you want. If you only use Bootcamp it won't slow you down at all. Otherwise if you are running it at the same time as other Mac stuff it will go slower.

Radio Monk33

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
Speaking of windows, is there anything wrong with XP home? XP 64 professional is what, 70$ more OEM..

hellzprince1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
What do you mean by bootcamp and running it at the same time as mac stuff. I think i will be doing either windows at one time or mac at one time. I mean I only really need windows for office cuz i don't have office for mac and if I do get it for mac would it be a good idea to get windows anyway

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
Bootcamp is the dual boot solution for Windows and Mac OS. You can run also Windows in a virtual environment within Mac OS using software like VMware Fusion or Parallels.

Galapp

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
well, if you are a windows user, its allways good to have it... if you are not, and you don't really use any type of application that is Windows only, there is no reason... anyways, it really depends on what you are going to do with the MBP

user13

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2006
It all depends on what apps you will run in Windows. If you choose Boot Camp you'll be able to boot into windows, and Parallels lets run Windows simultaneously with Mac OS. I use Office apps in Parallels and I can't say that it slows down my Mac considerably.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.