Windows on mbp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hellzprince1, Feb 28, 2008.

1. hellzprince1 macrumors member

so i just got the new mbp 2.4 ghz 15.4 inch. I wanted to know wether it is a good idea to put windows on it or will this slow the computer down a lot.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It depends if you need Windows to do what you want. If you only use Bootcamp it won't slow you down at all. Otherwise if you are running it at the same time as other Mac stuff it will go slower.

3. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

Speaking of windows, is there anything wrong with XP home? XP 64 professional is what, 70$ more OEM..

4. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

If you don't need to join a Windows domain then there is no difference.

5. hellzprince1 thread starter macrumors member

What do you mean by bootcamp and running it at the same time as mac stuff. I think i will be doing either windows at one time or mac at one time. I mean I only really need windows for office cuz i don't have office for mac and if I do get it for mac would it be a good idea to get windows anyway

6. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Bootcamp is the dual boot solution for Windows and Mac OS. You can run also Windows in a virtual environment within Mac OS using software like VMware Fusion or Parallels.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

8. Galapp macrumors regular

well, if you are a windows user, its allways good to have it... if you are not, and you don't really use any type of application that is Windows only, there is no reason... anyways, it really depends on what you are going to do with the MBP

9. user13 macrumors regular

user13

It all depends on what apps you will run in Windows. If you choose Boot Camp you'll be able to boot into windows, and Parallels lets run Windows simultaneously with Mac OS. I use Office apps in Parallels and I can't say that it slows down my Mac considerably.

10. hellzprince1 thread starter macrumors member