Windows on OS X on External TB HDD

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by KomBad, Jan 21, 2015.

1. KomBad macrumors newbie

hello

yeah i know there are so many threads about it out there and i was on so many forums and so readed many many pages

i want use on my "MBP Early 2011 osx 10.9.5" windows but on an external "LaCie 2big Thunderbolt1 2x2TB HDD" because i my internal drive is packed full for my work and i cant really delete it :-/

i try out winclone instructions but after recover on external i got the "no bootable device" error yeah
    winclone says make "EFI Bootable"
    i made
    but than ":( pc run into an problem"

tryed the small internal MS-DOS partition for boot files
    same thing cant boot, start with error message ( your pc nedds to repair bla press enter to bla, when press enter screen only flashes )

tryed bcdedit things, tryed sysprep (it goes to boot windows logo and than some error message something about the hardware, and cant boot, recover tools cd, says hdd is locked, chkdsk /f, done, no changes)

tryed out with windows 7 or 8.1

i tryed it many many days now really maybe 5-7 days with new installation recover clone recover bootcamp recover clone install bla bla bla

maybe i fail in something very small that i dont see

OOOOOR

is the LaCie 2big maybe not kompatible with external boot ?? or the Early 2011 MBP ?? or MBP + 10.9.5 ??

it would be awesome if someone can help me or find some hints why i cant get this done

watched some video where the people get it EASY GOIN INSTANT done :-/
    example (its on german but hey MBP with THUNDERBOLT and EASY GOING INSTANT WORKING) :-/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_OD1WF5nlQ
    just tell me if i need to delete this vid couse of something but its just for demonstration what i cant get done this easy like him XD

(only connections that i have on my mbp is an 2nd monitor cascade on the TB hdd so allllll usb devices disconnect) dont know what more infos to post here so you can hopefully understand me
    im not a big nerd but i can follow instructions and can learn :)
    i cant stop trying out till this problem is solved ^^

thank you
    greetz KomBad :D

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

EFI bootable only works on Haswell (late-2013) or later Macs. It will not work on your Mac.

The only way to have EFI on an external drive is to use this method:

Connect external drive to Windows VM. You must have a Windows VM in VMware/Parallels/VBox, or a Windows PC. Any existing Windows environment will do.

What you need:
    install.wim file (obtain this from your Windows ISO)

Open elevated cmd.exe (run as admin)

Note: All commands aren't case sensitive, including pathway to files.

Type diskpart
    Type list disk
    Take note of the disk you want to select
    Type select disk 1 (if your disk is Disk 1)
    Type clean
    Type convert gpt
    Type create partition EFI size=100
    Type format quick fs=fat32 label=EFI
    Type assign letter=S
    Type create partition primary
    Type format fs=ntfs quick label=W2G (or any other name you wish for label)
    Type assign letter=E
    Type exit

Open up File Explorer. In your C drive, create a new folder named WIN2GO.
    Put the install.wim file in this folder

Back in cmd.exe:
    Type dism /apply-image /imagefile:C:\WIN2GO\install.wim /index:1 /applydir:E:\ (this process will take quite a while)
    Type E:\Windows\System32\bcdboot E:\Windows /s S: /f UEFI

Restart your entire Mac. After the chime, hold down Option and when prompted to select your boot drive, select EFI Boot.

Proceed installation normally.

After installation, install Boot Camp drivers. Feel free to trash the VM once you're done too.

For best results, use USB 3/Thunderbolt. If you don't have USB 3, use Thunderbolt. If you have neither, stick back to the internal drive :)

Note: This method only works for Windows 8/8.1.

3. KomBad thread starter macrumors newbie

is it possible to do this kind of instruction with the windows cd revoery tools cmd ??
    the only windows pc i got here is the laptop (win7) of an friend without thunderbolt bus :-/
    and my lacie just have thunderbolt option.

Edit: sorry read to fast :eek:
    ill try it with VMware :D

4. KomBad, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015

KomBad thread starter macrumors newbie

with VMware fusion i cant see my thunderbolt hdd, so i cant see it in cmd diskpart :-/ how can i show my TB hdd device ??
    with the "share folder" option where i can put my hdd in i cant accses it from the cmd for editing .... :-/

5. KomBad thread starter macrumors newbie

@yjchua95

i followed every step of your instruction and didnt work like many other instruction
    every cmd line i followed

i did the last cmd line from the bootcamp partition on my internal this with the E: image bla

after everything

on the boot up (efi partition) where windows 8.1 should install

it check and than error message

something like (sorry my language is german, could be a bad translation)

Windows Setup could not configure Windows on this computer's hardware (i think its this is english) after pressing enter and automatic restart
    an other error message: the installation couldnt end, start the installation ne to install windows on this computer
    (sorry for bad translation) hope you can understand my problem

greetz KomBad :D

6. KomBad thread starter macrumors newbie

no help ?? no solution ?? no instructions that will work ??
    is the lacie 2big with mbp early 2011 10.9.5 compatible for external install ?? windows 8.1 ?? winclone 4.4 ?? any ideas im trying it now for more than 1 week evryday after work and i cant get it to work , even this istruction posted here ...

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You have to connect your TB drive with a USB cable instead then.

I tested mine on a late-2013 21.5" iMac, late-2013 15" rMBP and an early-2011 15" cMBP, over USB.

VMware Fusion can only connect drives over USB, and not over Thunderbolt. If I'm not mistaken, you should have a USB port on your LaCie. Use that instead.

PS please quote my responses in future communications so that I receive a notification that you've replied.

Edit: Saw that you've a Lacie 2big RAID Thunderbolt. Sorry, but it's not going to be possible for now.

Your best bet would be to install in Boot Camp in the internal drive first, then use WinClone to clone it to your LaCie. And make sure you DO NOT select 'Enable EFI boot', as your Mac isn't a Haswell Mac with UEFI 2.0.

8. KomBad, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2015

KomBad thread starter macrumors newbie

oh ok yeh its the 2big raid :-/

i dont know ive tryed it also with the winclone instruction also without the "enable efi boot"
    but when i select windows partition the only message i see is black screen with "no bootable device"
    and blinkin cursor
    tryed it maybe 3-5 times with :-/ and cant find really a solution how to "make it bootable" the only thing i found was the "Make EFI bootable" in winclone
    but there boots till windows logo and then the standart "pc run into an problem" and restart

dont know how to make it bootable the "no efi" method :-/
    any links or instruction for that ??
    or am im using something false ?? in the youtube video on my very first post up the dude is making it in one way and it works immediately it makes me cry :'( , ^.^

is it maybe the winclone who dont make it bootable ?? should i use other software ?? or other method to clone image ??

edit: i tryed also your method but there im runnin into the "windows cannot ... configuraton ... hardware on this computer" (bad translation XD)

hmmmmmmm

Edit2: i already got maybe 4 winclone images
    normal 7 64
    normal 8.1 64
    normal 8.1 with sysprep 64 (but here after hardware preaparing right before install this error message with hardware config on this comp is comming and restart)
    other 8.1 64

9. yjchua95, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2015

yjchua95 macrumors 604

Because it's an RAID drive, it's going to make things hard.

USB 3 won't work well either since your mac doesn't have USB 3.

So long story short, you're screwed and there's no way out of this gottverdammt situation.

Unless you don't mind buying a single TB drive like the LaCie Rugged.

10. KomBad thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah eine gottverdammte sitatuation is das !!!

yeah thank you your the first who can tell me that my hdd is not compatible with with this methods XD !!! even ist not on raid mode ??? couse i seperatet the hdd ?? or is this the unit itself which is raid ?!

but yeah thank you so no i dont Need to cry couse i see on others it works and at me not ^^

is the rugged fast without the power supply ? or you got some other good advices for other TB HDD :)

11. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The Rugged is pretty fast if you buy one with an SSD inside it.

If your Mac had USB 3, I would have just recommended a USB 3 hard drive for you, but since it doesn't, I guess you're stuck with Thunderbolt.

12. KomBad thread starter macrumors newbie

[/COLOR]
    oh ok

i mean when the raid hdd is the issue thats why it dont work then i would invest Money for an rugged or d2 or somethingelse for the Windows System
    but hopefully i wont stuck with the same issues and Problems like now after buying ^^

but i Need to w8 now 1-2 weeks till i can buy 1 ... but when you can tell me 99.9% or even 100% =D than that would be great

thank you for your help !!!

greetz kombad

13. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The LaCie Rugged definitely will work. I use it myself as well.

But why don't you just use Parallels and install the virtual machine onto your LaCie 2big instead?

14. KomBad thread starter macrumors newbie

i dont know if the power is than like i would boot from the external direct ?! :-/

would use it for gaming and Adobe progz an other progs that dont exist on os-x ^^ (and so i can use my mac just only for Music prod, Business and Video so i dont have to thrash everything in XD)

yeah that rugged Thing is probably my next Investment but i Looks so garbage XD haha

15. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Gaming, maybe not, unless it's stuff like L4D2 or CS.

You can even run CAD programs in Windows on Parallels.

It'll be fast by installing your VM in the 2big, as long as you set it up as RAID 0 (not really advisable) or RAID 10 (recommended).

16. KomBad thread starter macrumors newbie

is it possible
    just a thinkin of me ^^

i got on the lacie 2big 2hdd hdd1 and hdd2
    and i tryed to install it on the hdd2 ...
    is it possible that this could be also an issue why it wont work ?? (or this is the issue^^)

i mean is it possible that if i try to install it on the hdd1 that this could make some difference ?!

17. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I don't think Boot Camp will still work. It's because of the controller.