Windows on your MBP's ...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, Feb 11, 2010.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

For those of you running Windows on your MBP's what percentage of the time do you spend in Windows?

Is anyone running Win7 on their Mac say 80% of the time or more?

I notice among my friends since Win7 came out a lot of people are spending a lot of time on the darkside in win7 mostly via Bootcamp, some Fussion.

You spending much time in Windows?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. Cali3350 macrumors regular

A good ~60% of time. Really anytime im not in class im in Windows. Visual Studio / games / flash performance.

4. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

5. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Good, good... let your frustration flow through you...Do not underestimate the power of the dark side!

Attached Files:

6. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

lol, I should hit the edit button I guess, win7 is better than previous versions for sure.

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I rarely boot into windows anymore, maybe twice a month.
    I do use vmware regularly tho.

8. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Just curious what can visual studio do that Xcode or eclipse cannot?
    And I rarely boot to windows since I really only use my laptop at school and battery life is closer to half of what I get in osx. There is not much I cannot do under osx and I like the terminal for my systems programming class.

9. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

Why the exclusivity? I have a macbook (air) too and I use windows!

Well if you were interested, i'd say about 70% in windows, I think I spend too much time playing Dragon Age...

10. Cali3350 macrumors regular

Any .net development obviously. :)

11. robj macrumors regular

This weekend I'm going to try to install Win7 in a bootcamp partition, I'm planning to use it from time to time.

My reasons are for develop native Win applications and maybe for playing, But i do not play videogames in my MBP very often.

I think that I can use the bootcamp partition with Fusion, so I think the half of the times I will use Win7 through VM software.

12. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

It's the only effective way to administrate MS SQL servers too...

13. A.W.E.S.O.M.-0 macrumors member

Even though I really tried otherwise, I guess I spend a good 80% of my time on the MBP in Windows. Untill now XP, from this weekend on Windows 7 64.

In my company I'm the only one with a Mac and my collegues & customers all work a lot with MS Office. For compatibility reasons there is no choice but MS Office in Windows. I've tried Office 2008 for Mac but I find it terrible, perhaps it just takes time to get used to but I don't have the time and will to invest in figuring everything out.

Add a little bit of gaming to it and then you find yourself spending lots of time in Windows. But I'm still running OS 10.4 Tiger, perhaps with Snow Leopard I'll spend more time in OSX but time will tell.

14. jackinlost macrumors member

15. aneks macrumors regular

there where 1 or two apps that I used to run in Windows under bootcamp, but now I barely ever even open VMware. I just find there is no need. Even for things with better performance under windows like Maya or After Effects, I would rather just stick with the mac version and take a slight hit.

16. iBunny macrumors 65816

Im on Windows 7 a good 75% of the time.

Most of the time, its playing WoW. And WoW runs so so so much better in Windows.

The other 25% is everything from Surfing, iTunes, Email etc in OSX.

17. Sace macrumors member

Maybe 25% in Windows 7 via bootcamp.

Only use windows for school app such as Ni Multisim and Codevision. And of course for gaming.

Surfing, text and stuff like that, is always in OS X.

18. SecretAsianMan macrumors member

I make a living developing software with .NET / SQL Server. I also prefer Office on Windows. I also game. So, 70% of my time is spent in Windows, most of it via Fusion.

I use OS X for web browsing, email, iTunes, Twitter, and the occasional Cocoa development.

19. jmazzamj macrumors regular

I've been a Windows user for years (mainly for pcs being more affordable). Now I have finally spent some time with a Mac platform (10.5.8) and I'm loving it. I will never switch back to Windows, you can bet on that. I'm pretty sure that all of you Mac users, who have deliberately chosen to spend more and more time in Windows (either for work or ent), will be very very pissed when you realize that you must wipe out your HD and reinstall your system regularly (twice a year to keep your system responsive and reliable) or if your system ever fails to boot properly. I can assure this happen way too often and this trend will not change with Windows 7.

Just my $ 0.02.

20. awdougherty macrumors newbie

I probably split the time between OS X and Windows 7. My company is mac based, and I need Final Cut, so those are the only real reasons why I use OS X at all, otherwise I could get by with Windows all the time. But as it is, I use OS X for the day to day stuff, but Windows 7 for games and flash viewing like Hulu.

21. enberg macrumors regular

Only if you're a point and click weenie.

22. hypermog macrumors regular

Give in to your hatred... strike me down and complete your journey to the dark side of the force!

23. hundert macrumors regular

hundert

100% last half of a year, because I did not need Final Cut Pro.

Right now, 50% 50% I would say. And sometimes it is 100% osx or 100% winXP, depending on what I need.

May the force be with you on your dark side in win7.

24. SecretAsianMan macrumors member

if being a weenie gets more done faster for my clients, then count me in.

25. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

Don't even have it installed. Granted I do have to use Windows a lot at school because that's all they have, it's not on my MBP. I may install Win7 on it next year going to college just to have but I highly doubt I'll use it very much. I have no reason to, really.