Windows only on MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by khodan, Jun 24, 2014.

1. khodan macrumors newbie

My HDD is broken so I ordered a new SSD drive.
    I was wondering if I can install windows only when I receive my SSD drive
    Thanks in advance.

2. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

Hi,

You can do this technically but you need the bootcamp partition to be created.
    You can restore OSX via Command & r and then once it is installed go to add bootcamp. Once you have booted and have bootcamp running you can just remove the OSX partition if you really want to.

3. Freyqq, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014

Freyqq macrumors 68040

You can, but I wouldn't recommend it. Sometimes there are firmware patches that can't be installed without OSX. Also, OSX is required in order to get the bootcamp drivers. I'd make the smallest OSX partition you can get away with and dedicate the rest to Windows. Then, set windows as the default bootup choice.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. Pop in a Windows disk and format the disk right there then download the Boot Camp software appropriate for your computer. Though, doesn't that defeat the purpose of a MacBook?

5. laurihoefs, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014

laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

You don't need to use Bootcamp, if Windows is the sole OS you want to install. Bootcamp or rEFIt are only needed, if you want to use run multiple OSs.

Just like Altemose said, only the Bootcamp drivers are needed. It might be a good idea to download them in advance and putting them on a USB stick, as depending on the MacBook Pro model, Windows might not have proper network drivers for it built in. You might not be able to download anything (including the Bootcamp drivers) before installing the Bootcamp drivers..

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Keep in mind that you won't be able to apply any firmware updates from Apple without being able to boot into OSX.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

How often does apple provide firmware updates - pretty rare if you ask me.

Still, its better to have a very small OSX partition for this or other needs that may arise with OSX

8. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

True but I was making a suggestion which would include having the correct drivers.

9. romesk90 macrumors member

The newer makes seem to have firmware updates pretty often. My macbook has had 4-5 in a year and a half of ownership. That seems high to me.