Windows Options ?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Washac, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

I run Bootcamp for the more up to date games etc......

I know Parallels will and does run older software and smaller later games, but I was wondering what
    else I could use for this other than Parallels and its costly updates that never seem to improve things ?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

To play games? There's not much else other then bootcamp, and Parallels. Vmware is a bit slower then Parallels, and VirtualBox is not really geared to playing games. Your only other option is Wine which tends to have some serious compatibility issues with many applications.

3. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

Actually, I read a detailed performance review of what I think are still the most recent two versions of Parallels and VMware Fusion and surprisingly Fusion outdid Parallels this time around, significantly in some cases. After reading that I did a trial install and found that VMware did in fact work very well and performance (for a virtual machine) was quite good. So, while I understand that historically Parallels has been the preferred option for running a good number of games, with best results on older titles as a rule, VMware has improved quite a bit now and become a viable option and competitor to Parallels for this purpose without some of the marketing/subscription issues people were unhappy about with Parallels. I've used both and I liked VMware better in the trial I ran of it but until I remove bootcamp in the future I couldn't justify spending for either of them anymore.

Unless something changes significantly by the time I get around to making a purchase, I'll go with VMware. For a variety of reasons I won't get into here I am done with Parallels permanently. I'd do without before doing business with them again but that's just my own preference.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 7, 2016 ---
    I just read here after posting that above that unfortunately, VMware has laid off the entire Workstation and Fusion development teams in the US at least and the future of the products is somewhat up in the air despite assurances from VMware that they supposedly remained committed to them. So that's worth keeping in mind before spending any money on anything from VMware at this point in time. Oh, well. How quickly things change in high tech! Good Lord.

4. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

I was running Parallels 11 but it had become a real pain to use, even after removing things I was not really using anymore and reclaiming disc space it was painfully slow at doing anything general. This had gotten worse with each update, well for me anyway. Uninstalled version 11 and gone back to 9, also installed VMware Fusion as a 30 day trial.

5. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

I would also recommend you to install BootCamp for heavy and up to date gaming. One common problem you may encounter is the cooling issue.
    Plus, using BootCamp might give you a chance if Mac OS X is down while you want to save data from it. With third-party drivers, you might even be able to fix Mac OS X outside it.

6. Mrmullad macrumors member

Mrmullad

Hi washac
    I know this a bit late but I have just installed Windows 10 on Samsung external SSD and it is very fast.
    Dell

7. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

This is via Bootcamp, yes ?

8. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Seems that he is using a Dell machine, which is pc.

9. Mrmullad macrumors member

Mrmullad

No I installed it without bootcamp and in edit although I installed bootcamp drivers after to get it to play nice with mouse and keyboard.
    Dell

10. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

My OP was about using Bootcamp to run windows, but thanks.

11. dimme macrumors 65816

How did you get Windows 10 to install on a external ssd?

12. Mrmullad macrumors member

Mrmullad

I put VMware and windows on mac,installed windows10 on external ssd using win2go in windows VMware then deleted VMware from mac plugged ssd in booted into windows 10 EFI then installed apple for windows drivers works very well no crashes so far seems very stable.
    Dell