Windows or Linux?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DdMac679, Aug 25, 2009.

1. DdMac679 macrumors member

DdMac679

I am currently working on obtaining my CCNA as part of my networking degree. Today we were provided some Cisco based software in which we could run it via Windows or Linux. Since I use a laptop for school I was thinking about loading one of the two operating systems on my Mac but I am not sure which one. Which of the two would better benefit me in the long run when it came to networking?

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Normally I'd say ubuntu, But for things people want windows only stuff(like I'd still want to be able to use, so some might lean to windows

4. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Windows 7... I have linux on my server. Tried it on my desktop but just couldent do without a major OS.

5. foshizzle macrumors regular

Do you have experience using linux at all? I'd go that route because it is free, unless you have other reasons to use windows/purchase a copy if you dont already own one.

6. DdMac679 thread starter macrumors member

DdMac679

No I don't, but I have no issues about learning Linux if it beneficial to me in the long run.

7. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

i'd go windows just so you have no major problems and having to browse all the linux logs [​IMG]

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If it doesn't matter one way or another I'd go Ubuntu. It's the next best thing to Mac OS X. However, it's obviously harder to find software for. The awesome package manager more than makes up for that shortcoming, unless you need a specific Windows app for school. WINE is nice, but it would have trouble running the more technical apps.