windows or mac version of full photoshop

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Sossity, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

Now that I have windows on my mac, will a windows version of the full version of photoshop run ok on it? or would I be best getting the mac version?

I notice there are alot more windows versions out there for less, (I looked on ebay) than the mac version.

I am running parallels desktop 5, on an i7 2010 macbook pro with 4 gb of ram.

I am a college student on a budget, & am looking for photoshop that wont break my bank.

2. sup3r1or macrumors regular

if you plan on running it in parallels then I would suggest to get just the mac version. Adobes programs are resource consuming and you will definitely get better results running it natively. I would only consider using it under windows if i :
    1. Had a PC with windows on it
    2. bootcamp windows 7 on a mac

I have adobe cs5 creative suite and I quite serious that I do not want to sacrifice any extra performance, so I use it only in osx. Gotta say that for me it seems very inconvenient to run program in a program:)

3. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Are you aware that the Education versions of the current Adobe products have exactly the same features as the "full" versions? Last time I looked, the current Education versions were selling at less than secondhand copies of older versions.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Sounds useless to buy a Mac and then invest on Windows software. If you aren't going to do anything professional, then take a look at Photoshop Elements, it's just fine for amateur and costs less than 100$

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

photoshop elements would be a decent alternative, but you can get CS5 Extended for $199 from Adobe since you are a college student.

6. mBox macrumors 68020

Adobe let's you install both versions with one license.
    Just run one at a time.
    Since it's on same workstation, your good to explore.
    We run it on mostly Mac, but a few 3D Workstations require the full CS suite.

7. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I read somewhere that student versions are limited to one computer only, & cannot be installed on another again.

8. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Does your EULA differ from the norm for that - maybe your volume licensing is different - AFAIK the only Adobe app that allows cross-platform use is Lightroom. The current Photoshop EULA says:

2.11 Dual Boot Platform. The Software is licensed for use on a specific operating system platform. You must purchase a separate license for use of the Software on each operating system platform. By way of example, if you desire to install the Software on both the Mac OS and Windows operating system platforms on a device that runs both of those platforms (i.e., a dual boot machine), then you must first obtain two separate licenses for the Software. This is true even if two versions of the Software, each designed for a different operating system platform, are delivered to you on the same media.

Please check with the Adobe EULA for your local jurisdiction, but in general, academic licences are the same in use as the standard one, i.e. you can have the software installed on two computers by the same user, but are not allowed to run them concurrently. This allows, for example, use on a laptop and a desktop. However, when you've finished with the software you are not allowed to sell or transfer an academic licence - which is the difference.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

One thing to keep in mind with Photoshop on ebay, regardless of it being windows or osx. Many of them are either pirated/counterfeit. You cannot expect to buy photoshop CS5 which retails for 999, for a couple of hundred dollars (education edition not withstanding). If you visit the adobe photoshop forums, you'll see some warnings about this.