Windows OS won't run, constantly restarting? Do help :(

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by reuben.seph, Mar 31, 2011.

1. reuben.seph macrumors newbie

Hi, just as the title says, the Windows OS partition on my Macbook Pro 13-inch doesn't stop restarting every time I try to run it. I've tried to remove the partition and reinstall Windows for about ten times, and even reinstall my Mac OS X, but to no avail. And yes, I can hold the Option key to choose to run Mac OS X or to eject the disk, so no issues there.

Anyway, below's the full story, if you guys don't get my poor explanation in this paragraph.

I had a Macbook Pro 15-inch for a year and it ran Windows 7 perfectly except for a few minor issues, but about a month ago I accidentally spilled water into the speakers and keyboard. At first it was only the screen that didn't work, so I attached an external display to it and worked like that for a week or two.

But after a while, that method didn't work anymore. I know the external display is still working, because I can still use it to play PS3, so the issue here is either the video cable or the connecting port on the Macbook Pro. The sleep indicator light lights up every time I start it, though, so I know the laptop is still running.

I went over to an Apple retail store yesterday and had them run the diagnostic thingy they do, and once they're done they quoted $1,200 for repairs. With that money I could buy a new Macbook Pro 13-inch, and, on impulse, that's exactly what I did.

I got home all excited and tried to install Windows 7 Home Premium x64, followed the installation instructions, even set up my account on the Windows OS. All is fine.

Here is where the problem starts. After setting up my account, Windows had to restart to set up the desktop and stuff, and then, well, you guys know the story, the Windows OS wouldn't run anymore, and it just wouldn't stop restarting.

So what I wish to find out is what's causing the problem (hardware, Mac OS X, Windows 7) and what can I do to get Windows 7 running.

OH GAWD I WANNA SHOOT MYSELF.

Do help, I'm desperate ):

Off topic, I'm contemplating on returning the Macbook Pro 13-inch and getting a Windows laptop, since I'm going to ask my technician uncle to help fix my previous one when I go back to Asia for summer.

2. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

Well, so far, I haven't seen anyone else with this problem, so there's a chance it could be an issue caused by something you're doing wrong (everyone makes mistakes), which is good because you'll be able to fix it :).

Two big things:

Are you following the Bootcamp instructions exactly as they're given? This could be caused by improper installation. Remember you can't just use the partition created by Bootcamp, you have to reformat the partition that was created.

Check to be sure you don't have anything like a printer or some other peripheral connected to your computer.

3. reuben.seph thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I did format the partition into NTFS format, and all I had connected to the laptop was my optical mouse. And, of course, the Windows disk in the ODD. Perhaps I should try the installation again, this time without the mouse haha

4. Hastings101, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011

Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

Doubt a mouse is causing too many problems :p

I have no clue what's up with your Windows 7 installs, those two things have always fixed any problem I've had. Maybe something's wrong with your install disk? Hopefully someone a lot more tech savvy will respond now that we've added some more posts to this thread.

edit: Oh, http://www.philmug.ph/forum/showthread.php?t=69308 and http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2780746&tstart=1 seem to suggest this might happen if you're not installing using a retail version of Windows 7. Maybe the copy you've acquired is one for system manufacturers instead of what a consumer would normally use?

5. reuben.seph thread starter macrumors newbie

If my copy of Windows 7 is OEM version, how is it that I didn't experience a similar problem when installing it into my previous Macbook Pro? Could it be that Apple made the new Mac OS X reject my Windows? That would suck real bad D:

Oh well, thanks for trying pal. Really appreciate the effort :)

6. reuben.seph thread starter macrumors newbie

I returned my Macbook Pro today, gonna get a Windows laptop instead.

--------------------------- Thread Closed ---------------------------