Windows Partition dissapear from in MacOS X

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Tangerine, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Tangerine macrumors regular

Tangerine

I just install Windows XP on another Hard Drive, everything went well but when I boot into MacOS X the Hard Drive for Windows is no longer showing on my Desktop. I know it suppose to show up because it was still there before I erase the Hard Drive and re-install Windows XP. I'm using Boot Camp 1.3. What is going on? It's frustrating because there files on the Windows side I want to copy over to Mac from time to time. I really don't want to re-format and re-install Windows XP again. Does anyone know what's going on or a way to make it show up?

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Open disk utilities and see if it's listed there.

3. Tangerine thread starter macrumors regular

Tangerine

I open Disk Utilities and it's there. However, the hard drive name is grey.

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

5. Tangerine thread starter macrumors regular

Tangerine

Yes I can, when I hold down option it does show Windows and I can boot into it just fine.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

What kind of computer are you using?

It should be there.

Click on Finder>preferences>Sidebar and make sure Hard disks is checked.

Thats all I can think of as long as both OS's boot fine.

7. Tangerine thread starter macrumors regular

Tangerine

I'm using a Mac Pro, don't know why it's not reading the Hard Drive but on Windows it's there. Yeah, I did make sure Hard Drive is check in the finder. Look like I have to keep re-formatting the Hard Drive and re-installing Windows XP until it show up. Don't know if this matter, but should I let Boot Camp format the Hard Drive for Windows XP, or let Windows XP startup CD installer format the Hard Drive for me? For some strange reason, sometime Windows XP don't like the way Boot Camp format the Hard Drive and it will say it need to format the partition.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Try this.

Open disk utilities.Select the Windows HD and mount it.

Perhaps it's unmounted.

9. empezar macrumors regular

empezar

if you're using VMWare, this is a known bug. VMWare unmounts the windows partition and "forgets" to remount it when you quit VMWare..

10. juze macrumors newbie

Well, in my case, Parallels did the same thing, but that's gone in v3.0.

11. uMac macrumors 6502

Could it be that you formatted the entire second drive with a windows file format (can't remember what it is called - NTSF?) that Mac OSX can't read.

That may be your problem.
    Reformat to FAT32 (i think) and parition it with a section for windows op & programs (which needs NTSF?) and leave the rest as room for your documents.

12. nihilisticmonk macrumors 6502

nihilisticmonk

I know the problem!
    I belive that 10.4.10 screws this up, as it occured to me after that update.

Here's what I tried to solve it.

At first I thought it was a faulty sata connection on the mac pro.
    so I
    1) Swapped the OSX drive and the windows drive bays over
    This will solve your problem, after I did this, it picked it up every time.

I wasn't happy with this however, as it really annoyed me that my osx drive was in bay 4 and my windows was in bay 1 (doesn't really matter really, I'm just fussy).

So here's what I did to solve it.

1) repair permissions, you will see 10.4.10 screwed permissions up for a file to do with EFI. EFI is like the bios on a pc, this may be un-related, but it's best to ensure it's permissions are read only.

2) re-boot your system, and re-set pram multiple times (alt apple p + r)

3) shut down your system

4) Re-set your SMC controller. (do this by totally disconnecting your mac-pro and leaving it for one minute, or by shutting down and pushing the button on your motherboard with a pencil. The button is labelled SMC re-set and is visible where your memory riesers are, next to your error LED's).

5) Start up your mac-pro

6) For 2 days, this has worked for me with my windows partition staying visible.

Hope that helps! like I said, it worked for me.