Windows partition on iMac, when?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cAPS lOCK, Nov 9, 2009.

1. cAPS lOCK macrumors member

I am thinking about buying one of the new iMacs and also having Windows 7 on it. When do I install Windows on the machine? When I first get it? Is there a partition already made? Is this something I can do later down the road?

Thanks.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can install Windows with BootCamp utility. It'll help you creating a partition for Windows as well so it's very easy to do it

3. Terabyte2007 macrumors newbie

Terabyte2007

Windows 7 partition on iMac

I have not yet installed Windows 7 on a Mac, but I would tend to believe that it should install the same as XP or Vista. The Mac OS comes with a utility called Boot Camp, this will allow you to setup a windows partition and install a version of Windows on your Mac, you would then choose the OS at startup you wish to use. If you want to run both OS's at the same time then you will need to purchase a program called Parallels which will run the OSX and multiple other OS's with the OSX environment.

Hope this helps...

Eric

4. cAPS lOCK thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info, wasn't sure if I should do this the 1st week or what. I'll probably get Parallels or Fusion too. I once saw a screenshot of Parallels and it had Windows windows open in actual separate windows on the osx desktop. Not all contained in one window like Fusion. Is this true?

5. Terabyte2007 macrumors newbie

Terabyte2007

Parallels

Parallels will allow you to easily switch between multiple OS's that are installed on the system within a window for each but keep in mind that the more memory you have the better Parallels will work for you.

Eric

6. Badradio macrumors 6502

I'd create your Windows partition as soon as you've set the Mac up, even if you don't install Windows yet. I've got a 250Gb HD and twice I've had to format it to get enough contiguous space to create a 50Gb partition for Windows. It just saves hassle if you do it sooner.