Windows Partition Question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NCMau, Nov 5, 2014.

1. NCMau macrumors newbie

2010, 27” iMac. I am in the process of installing Windows 7. I understand that I have to have one partition in the internal drive with one system X installed. After Windows is installed, can I create an additional partition? I want to use also 10.9 and 10.6, so it would be a total of three partitions.
    I had 10.6 and 10.9 in the main drive. I cloned both of them and now I am working from an external drive.

2. J232022 macrumors member

I think you can install all of them , but why not just keep 1 main os and install the others in a virtual machine ? I think it is a much easier solution and the performance should be good enough with Vmware or Parallels and Virtualbox is free it just is not as good or as easy .

3. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Partitioning erases all contents on the drive unless you use special 3rd party applications which are designed to repartition a drive without losing the contents. However, I do not know of any such program that is compatible with both windows and Mac partitions.

Any partitioning you wish to do, should be done before you install your operating systems. And, yes you could create as many partitions as you wish.

4. NCMau thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you J232022 and flyingmac for the replies. Here is my problem. Originally I had OS 10.9 and 10.6 in the main drive. I keep 10.6 because I have some Power PC apps that I use occasionally. I cloned both of them and tried to make one partition on the main drive. For some reason unknown to me, Disk Utilities does not allow me to erase 10.6.

Even though I am driving the Mac from an external driveI was able to erase 10.9, but not 10.6. I did repair permissions several times and they were all repaired except there is an error “Live file system repair is not supported”. What does it mean?

I am assuming that I can installing Windows from 10.6, then later I can create another partition for 10.9.