Windows Partition Removed Automatically?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ianmolt, Feb 19, 2011.

1. ianmolt macrumors newbie

Yesterday I was using windows on my iMac using bootcamp and it was working fine. Today when i tried to boot up in Windows it didn't work so i went to System Preferences>Startup Disk, and I didn't see BOOTCAMP option there!! Just to check, I opened DiskUtility and the partition which was on was formatted!!. I can't figure out what is wrong because no one except me uses this machine. Is there any fix to this. I'm really pissed off right now. -.- (Hope it makes sense to you.:apple::(

2. celticpride678

There is no way to recover it if the partition has been removed. They don't get removed automatically, so you or someone else must have done something.

3. ianmolt thread starter macrumors newbie

Can it be because of a virus? as i didn't had any Antivirus software

4. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Out of curiosity, what version of Windows did you have installed?

5. ianmolt thread starter macrumors newbie

I had Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit installed.

6. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Have you tried boot off the Windows install disc and tried using the repair tools to see if the partition is recoverable?

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It's conceivable that some partition/MBR modifying malware may have screwed up your partition table in a way that it will no longer boot.

I'm with Grannyville7989, try Startup Repair wizard and see if it can fix it.

B