Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgw1283

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Tempe, AZ
I'm getting a new MBP with 750gb hd and looking to run Windows. I have VM Ware but am planning on using Bootcamp. How many gigs should I partiton for windows?

I'm planning on running XP/7 or 8 when it comes out as well as some gaming. Is 100-150gb enough?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Largely depends on what you intend to install
You will need to account for the size of the games and other software + Windows OS

Nobody can really determine that for you without knowing which games and how many, etc.

jgw1283

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Tempe, AZ
games like Star Wars Old Republic and some random games off Steam. Nothing major I just don't want to not give myself enough space if decide to get into gaming. I wont be running itunes or anything other that games and windows.

murphychris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2012
Just make sure you do not ever use Windows utilities to resize the Windows volume, or you will almost certainly encounter data loss. You will have to use a 3rd party utility like iPartition or CampTune to do resizing, there are no Apple supplied utilities that can do this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.