Windows partition size?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jgw1283, Aug 18, 2012.

1. jgw1283 macrumors regular

jgw1283

I'm getting a new MBP with 750gb hd and looking to run Windows. I have VM Ware but am planning on using Bootcamp. How many gigs should I partiton for windows?

I'm planning on running XP/7 or 8 when it comes out as well as some gaming. Is 100-150gb enough?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Largely depends on what you intend to install
    You will need to account for the size of the games and other software + Windows OS

Nobody can really determine that for you without knowing which games and how many, etc.

3. jgw1283 thread starter macrumors regular

jgw1283

games like Star Wars Old Republic and some random games off Steam. Nothing major I just don't want to not give myself enough space if decide to get into gaming. I wont be running itunes or anything other that games and windows.

4. vistadude macrumors 65816

I would go with 200 GB for games. Nowadays, games take 10 - 20 GB each.

5. murphychris macrumors 6502a

Just make sure you do not ever use Windows utilities to resize the Windows volume, or you will almost certainly encounter data loss. You will have to use a 3rd party utility like iPartition or CampTune to do resizing, there are no Apple supplied utilities that can do this.