Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TallWarren

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
Tempe AZ
I just loaded Windows on a MacBook Pro using Bootcamp, when windows booted it asked for a password. I tried my Mac password, I tried using a blank password, nothing seems to work

Any ideas?

eman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
In the great white north
When you installed windows, it asks for a password. Did you enter a password? There is a program and I believe it is from Microsoft and it's called password reset. I'm not sure how it will work on a macbook running with bootcamp.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305478
This link may get you started in the right direction.

italiano40

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
NY
when you install it will ask you to put in a password , u put a password u have to just remember it.

LinuXtreme

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2007
Near Aspen
It depends on what version of Windows you are using (here I'm assuming XP).

You might try booting into safe mode and logging in as administrator (hopefully you either haven't set up a password for that account or remember it if you did). To go to safe mode, press F8 just before the Windows splash screen shows up (I've not gone the bootcamp route yet on my mac, so YMMV, but I see no reason why it should be different). From there you should be able to change (or create) the password on your usual user account.

Apologies if you've already tried this. You may very well have to install windows again if the safe mode thing doesn't work.

NoBob

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
Ah, heck, I'm glad to know this is just not me this has happened to. I did enter a password when setting up XP, but I rebooted into XP several times and never got asked for it. Then, for some reason, it rebooted and asked me for a password. I entered the password. Doesn't accept it. Rebooted in Safe Mode. Get presented with Administrator and my own login field. Now the keyboard doesn't work, so I can't type in anything!

As this is the second time I've installed XP (the first time my network connections vanished and reinstalling the Boot Camp drivers and repairing XP with the install disc just wouldn't bring them back.)

So, my question is, should I try VMWare and try to change the password, accessed through in the XP control panel, via VMWare's Fusion?

Or should I just re-install XP - again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.