Windows/PC alternative to refresh

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anagonye, Feb 24, 2011.

1. anagonye macrumors newbie

So many of us are upset with the new refresh and are not eager to pull the trigger on a new MBP. What sort of alternatives are there in the PC world for a comparably specced laptop? $1199 is too much for what Apple is offering. What are the best bargains for a PC?

2. aCondor macrumors 6502

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Food for thought.

Inspiron 15R uses a core i5, 4 gig of ram, 500gb of storage and the ATI Mobility Radeon HD550. That goes for 699

4. French macrumors regular

I'm looking at customizing an Envy...til I realized they don't have the nicer screen offering that so many raved about.

5. thinh3d macrumors member

Have a look at the Vaio S or Z series, both have nice offers. Gotta say I'm really really disappointed with the 13" refresh this year!

6. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

...aaaaaaand you have to put up with Windows again. Not worth two s h * t s in my book. Don't take OS X for granted...especially with Lion coming.

7. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Actually had a chance to buy one this morning. Local guy on craigslist has one posted. He seems to think that a computer he paid 1400 for two weeks ago is worth more than that now because of his radiance screen.

8. dime21 macrumors 6502

Who are these fools? And what are they so confused about? :confused:

9. MacMadeInHeaven macrumors member

I find the Inspiron keyboards gorgeous

10. chiodo macrumors newbie

I was going to buy a 15" MPB until i added it to my shopping cart and it was 2600$! No way am I going to pay that much for a computer.

I willl wait for the envy to get updated specs.

The CEO of HP has stated that he wants to compete with apple in terms of build quality and tech appeal. I have read the upgraded envy is going to be pretty nice.

11. dime21 macrumors 6502

I'll believe it when I see it. That's like Hyundai or Daihatsu saying they want to compete with Rolls Royce. Sorry, but HP is absolute bottom of the barrel when it comes to build quality. They are some serious crap. I know, I've made the mistake of owning a few HP notebooks... each was a larger and stinkier turd than the last. I'm never making that mistake again. There's a reason HP notebooks have high on-paper specifications and low low prices..... that reason is absolute garbage build quality.

12. gregrose macrumors 6502

ive had 2-3 hp laptops all complete crap in builds and all broke within 2 years, i will never trust an hp laptop again. i also have 3 friends who all bought hp laptops 2 years ago & they all have new laptops now cause they all broke. TERRIBLE company

13. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Dell, maybe? Youre really on the wrong forum, that's for sure.

14. Alpha.K macrumors member

The Envy seems to come close to the MBP, with its copycat design. I have to say though, people complained and thought last year's 13" refresh was bad, now take a look at this one. Intel HD 3000? So much for "killer graphics".

EDIT: The HP dv series might also serve you well, although you could also buy the 2010 i5 refurbs running for $1200 right now.