Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I have a Seagate Freeagent 250GB external HDD that was formatted for the Mac. So, I instead went to disk utility, then erase, then went to MS-DOS(fat) and let it partition it for Fat32(right?). But, my PC doesn't detect the hard drive. Neither does my PS3. When I right click on the partition in disk utility it says format: fat32, but none of my devices can detect it. Any idea on what to do?!????

nomar383

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Rexburg, ID
I have a Seagate Freeagent 250GB external HDD that was formatted for the Mac. So, I instead went to disk utility, then erase, then went to MS-DOS(fat) and let it partition it for Fat32(right?). But, my PC doesn't detect the hard drive. Neither does my PS3. When I right click on the partition in disk utility it says format: fat32, but none of my devices can detect it. Any idea on what to do?!????

I dont know if this will help, but go to partitions in Disk Utility and then go to options. See what the partition map is. You should probably change it to MBR if it is not already, then tell it to make one partition and see what happens

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I dont know if this will help, but go to partitions in Disk Utility and then go to options. See what the partition map is. You should probably change it to MBR if it is not already, then tell it to make one partition and see what happens

There's only 1 partition on the hard drive. I really can't understand what might be wrong.

nomar383

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Rexburg, ID
There's only 1 partition on the hard drive. I really can't understand what might be wrong.

I know there is only one partition, but the partition pane doesn't force you to make more than one. This just gives you the option to pick between GUID and MBR. The option just happens to be in that pane. It won't hurt to try.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I know there is only one partition, but the partition pane doesn't force you to make more than one. This just gives you the option to pick between GUID and MBR. The option just happens to be in that pane. It won't hurt to try.

Edit: Never mind, I did what you said and it worked flawlessly! Thank you very much normar!

nomar383

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Rexburg, ID
Could you please clarify a little more on that? Where do I access the option pane from? I don't see any GUID or MBR labels anywhere.

Open Disk Utility
Click on the HD you wan to edit (on the left)
Make sure it is the full HD selected, not just the single partition
Click Partition (near the top of the pane, next to erase and first aid I believe)
Click 1 Partitoin from the drop down menu
Go to the bottum of the pane and select "Options"
Make sure MBR is selected
Then click whatever the button is to start the format on that pane

If that doesn't work, try the third option (Not MBR or GUID, but the third one)

Let me know if that works

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.