Windows PC not showing in Finder (SP3)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dhcrees, May 11, 2008.

1. dhcrees macrumors newbie

I have a number of Mac’s and a windows PC running Xp (sp2). Up until a few days ago everything was working find and all the Mac’s (which are running 10.5.2) would automatically display the windows server in the finder pane.

But windows update, installed SP3 onto the server and rebooted it. As soon as I realised it had done it, I un-installed SP3, but now the machine does not show up on any of the Macs. I can still connect to the shares on the windows PC if I connect to them manually through the go menu.

Any ideas, what’s changed on the PC, to stop the macs seeing it????

2. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

To troubleshoot, try turning off Windows firewall (as long as the Win PC is not connected directly the the internet) and make sure File & Printer sharing is enabled on your Win PC.

3. dhcrees thread starter macrumors newbie

The firewall is off and I rebooted the machine. Print and File sharing is turned on and I can manually connect to the shares from the Go menu. Once I connect one share, the server name appears in the finder?? I can’t think what removing SP3 has done to the machine…..

4. dhcrees thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved...
    I changed the workgroup name to something else, restarted the box and the machine name popped backup in the finder.

5. donmei macrumors regular

Glad to hear you solved the problem.

NOW TURN OFF AUTO UPDATES!!!. Its a nightmare. If you want, leave the notification on, but turn off the updates.

Then when the notification comes, look at each update as to whether it is necessary.

If this thing is a server and lives in a fairly static environment, I wouldnt patch it much at all. Only applicable security updates. And even then I'd be choosy about what updates I did.

Don