Windows Phone 7 Browser Performance Comparison vs Andoid 2.2 vs iOS 4.0.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by asleep, Aug 24, 2010.

1. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

2. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Now I know that it's not final software/hardware, but does it not worry anyone that the WP7 browser doesn't render Google correctly?

Obviously they have time to fix it, but isn't that one of the first things they should have working?

3. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

Because the iPhone only loads a portion of the page instead of the full page.

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

That's obvious, but the reason why it does that isn't.

The device (and software) should be capable of doing it.

5. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

My iphone doesnt checkerboard like that. In fact, only my old beaten to death ipod touch 2g does that. Plus those web pages were loading alot slower than normal.

The windows phone looks good if it was only a Zune. That UI looks terrible for a phone.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

that win 7 UI is UGLY, I can't see how many people will want a phone with bright orange boxes instead of nicely drawn icons.

7. admanimal macrumors 68040

iOS shows the checkerboard pattern instead of rendering the page in some cases because of a design decision to make smooth scrolling as consistent as possible even if it means delaying the display of actual content.

8. kasakka macrumors 68000

These tests aren't particularly meaningful. They're usually more dependent on network speed. As far as actual rendering only the Android phone fared poorly because it wasn't smooth.

On my iPhone4 I tried Amazon and Gizmodo and could only get checkerboards when scrolling quickly down and even then they were brief flashes and not the longer times of checkerboard city I was getting with my old 3G. I'm guessing it's a memory management thing.

But more than anything, the WP7 browser UI seemed just awful. I hope they seriously improve it because having things like Windows style checkboxes and radio buttons on a phone is just poor UI design. The tab management didn't look good either. The thumbnails were tiny even with just one tab open and the close buttons were huge. I imagine you'd end up accidentally closing tabs a lot.

Another thing I worry about is rendering engine features. Is it based on IE9 tech or some old crap that won't support CSS3 or any other modern web features?

Now that the top smartphones are all roughly on the same level as far as performance goes, it comes down to usability. So far Apple is still the leader in that area IMO.

9. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It's stuck halfway between IE7 and IE8, so it's really bad.

I've tried it out (in the emulator) and it struggles to render quite a few sites, not just Google as seen in the video.

The touch version of Facebook was a no-go for example - the phone defaults to the mobile version. The touch version rendered incorrectly.

It has no Flash (it will later), no Silverlight and of course - no HTML5. Technologies like SVG wont work either.

With the competition from WebKit in both iOS and Android (as well as just about every other mobile platform these days), MS would have been taking a gamble with IE9 - IE7 is a joke!

10. wreckshop macrumors 6502

Well if android showed checkerboxes like iphone then it would be smooth too.

11. asleep thread starter macrumors 68040

asleep

I am impressed that iOS4 keeps up with Froyo in this test.