Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Actually, all the Google apps are also inconsistent. I'd rather not go into details though. But some highlights are the drawer that opens from the left look different in all Google apps and and and also that you can't swipe left and right in Google+ when viewing a profile but you can swipe left and right in youtube

Why would two different apps, which serve completely different purposes with completely different functions necessarily be designed exactly the same?

How is that any different from complaining that iOS sucks because Safari has tabs and mail doesn't?

Want to talk about inconsistent? Why do some apps in iOS keep their settings in the system settings, some are in-app and some have both?

CyanLite

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2013
To put names on it, I would stay with Android. Google's fixed many inconsistencies in the past. Microsoft has done practically nothing with Windows Phone for the last year, and Metro is getting a bit long in the tooth.

I completely agree with you. Google is good at fixing the design problems with Android but Microsoft hasn't done anything major this whole year with WP8

I'm not sure what you are talking about. I don't see any profile in YouTube. The main screen works the same with the swipe in from the left edge on both apps.

I mean when swiping between "Videos" and "Activity" in the subscriptions section in the Youtube app and then in Google+ profiles swiping between "Posts" and "Photos" and "About"

Once you lose the OCD,....if you can, life becomes much easier and simpler. You wont worry about little things that most people consider insignificant.

Lol, if I can manage to lose the OCD, Android would be a no brainer.

----------

Why would two different apps, which serve completely different purposes with completely different functions necessarily be designed exactly the same?

How is that any different from complaining that iOS sucks because Safari has tabs and mail doesn't?

Want to talk about inconsistent? Why do some apps in iOS keep their settings in the system settings, some are in-app and some have both?

I completely agree with you. Google is good at fixing the design problems with Android but Microsoft hasn't done anything major this whole year with WP8

I mean when swiping between "Videos" and "Activity" in the subscriptions section in the Youtube app and then in Google+ profiles swiping between "Posts" and "Photos" and "About"

Lol, if I can manage to lose the OCD, Android would be a no brainer.

I didn't hope that they design it exactly the same, just that it functions similarly especially when their guidelines encourage swiping between tabs.

http://developer.android.com/design/patterns/swipe-views.html

And yeah, that inconsistency is stupid, lol. I never said that iOS or WP8 were perfect.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I've only ever been on iPhone and finally switched last week to Windows (Lumia 1520). I'm not one of these people who use 50,000 apps but I am tied to the Apple ecosystem with 5 iPads and now 4 iPhones in my house.

Most important for me was maintaining a synching capability for my music, better video/camera experience and linking to my work related stuff which is all on Microsoft platform. Mapping is also huge for me since I travel a lot...Waze was just added to Windows (just waiting on landscape mode), but I have found the native Nokia apps to function way better than what I was expecting.

Love the live tiles...especially on the very big phone I chose. I do make/receive the occasional phone calls, but I went bigger due to what I utilize it for most often; texting, emails, social media, browsing.

It is still early for me and I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but the phone build quality/design, the interactive UI, the INCREDIBLE hi-def screen.....I'm happy.

aced411

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
iOS 7 feels like "Android Lite" with a bad theme, so I don't think it will suit you.

Windows Phone is probably the best bet in this case.

If Chrome was the top app out of his short list, WP8 is a total fail. WP8 is the farthest you can get from Google. Something as simple as using google.com in IE doesn't even work well. Android is the only good solution. Chrome on iOS works fine but it's crippled by slow JavaScript rendering due to the 3rd party restrictions in iOS.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
I came to Android from an iPhone. Android does have a lot of design inconsistencies, and overall functional inconsistencies as well (just Google "android back button inconsistent").

I can be annoyed by inconsistencies, but not as much as you seem to be, which is fine, everyone has their preferences. So I would recommend that you wait for the next iPhone as it will likely have a larger screen. Try and hold on to what you have now if you can. Honestly, the only two things holding me back on Android is screen size and setting default apps. If Apple allowed both of these, I'd jump back in a heartbeat.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Problem is that I recall that you were the loudest defender of Apple Maps when first released and those maps were utter rubbish.

Actually, I think I even claimed that in one of these latest threads here as well.

I still think Apple Maps has the best UI and always worked great for me. That hasn't changed...and maps wasn't the reason I switched phones.

While I'm not a huge fan of the graphics, the Nokia app has the best data/map integration I have seen. Impeccable driving routes, has found every poi I have asked for, includes high end GPS functions like speed limit info/warnings....

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
MIUI's Android looks a lot more consistent and I've been very content with it aesthetically. It acts more like iOS however, than Android.

my_android_ii___miui_4___october_2013_by_hundone-d6qxsvw.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.