Windows Phone mobile OS demonstrated (with "multi-touch")

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Argelius, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Argelius macrumors 6502

Argelius

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1495860/windows-phone-mobile-os-demonstrated

After watching this video (and seeing the Palm Pre and other touch screen phones), I'm sort of baffled.

Can anyone explain to me how everyone has now started using the term "multi-touch", as well as adopting it's functionality? I remember when Steve Jobs announced the iPhone at the keynote, he said, "...and we've patented the hell out of it" (or something to that effect. Has Apple realized it's patents aren't as rock-solid (or original) as they had originally hoped?

2. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

3. alFR macrumors 68020

Some comments:

It looks a lot better than the current version of WM, but why go to the trouble of designing a nice new frontend then keep the godawful start menu?.
    I love the number of screens in the demo where it says "sync failed" etc. and how it keeps asking if he wants to import his SIM contacts.
    Staggered rows of app icons look messy.
    The "great browser experience" looks slow as molasses.
    The amazing "ad tagging" concept has been around for years, it's never really caught on.
    I forsee some patent suits.

Good to see them putting some effort in though, competition is always good.

4. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Looks better, but its a load of bullshizzer compared to the iPhone and the pre to be honest. I would rather use S60!

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

It's an improvement but, oh my god, you can still see Windows Mobile lurking beneath the surface and that scares the hell out of me :p

6. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

Isn't it amazing how in just two years, Apple has completely changed the mobile phone industry.

7. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

I think it looks nice. Very nice, indeed. One thing I wish Apple would implement in the iPhone is the feature like Lockscreen or Intelliscreen. Very much would love to have this feature. I love it.

8. Nitrocide macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

Totally, i always find it funny thinking about how apple basically strode in after windows mobile had been being "developed" for a number of years previous, yet now its playing catch up BIG TIME and two years later! Not to mention the fact that its still likely to suck as a useable interface!
    Good times haha.

9. Nitrocide macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

10. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

I don't get it, you say they use multi-touch? The demo shows no multi-touch and he says that they don't have multi-touch?

11. Argelius thread starter macrumors 6502

Argelius

I guess I was referring to the accompanying article that referenced "multitouch" in saying they didn't have pinch-to-zoom, etc yet. In any event, regardless of the terminology, it seems like all the multitouch gestures, as originally developed by Apple, are making their way into all touchscreen phones...

12. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

Guys, guys, Apple didn't patent multi-touch....Rather, they patented a METHOD of multitouch. The way their technology intertwines to be able to use a piece glass, digitizer, capacitive technology, etc. is patented. Say, for example, Microsoft Surface. That is multitouch too. But that is NOT multitouch the way Apple does multitouch. That is multitouch using infrared cameras beneath the screen, tracking the operators hands. Therefore, Microsoft did not INFRINGE on Apple's patent, since they discovered a different method of doing it. Get it? I suspect the Palm Pre's method of multitouch is different as well, seeing as to how the screen is plastic, not glass.

13. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Now, I still have the 2G iPhone, and this might actually just prompt me to shift to the HTC Touch Diamond2, nice my phone cloud, which is free, and it seems to be ok.

Applications are vigorously approved so that's a plus.

14. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Well c'mon, this is from the head of the same company that told us MMS won't work on the original iPhone due to hardware limitations. They just lie to your face.

15. Argelius thread starter macrumors 6502

Argelius

Thanks -- that explanation totally makes sense.

16. cmaier macrumors G3

There aren't that many patents on it yet (just a couple, if i recall). They filed many patents, and undoubtedly took continuations on the ones that already issued. It takes a long time (3 years or so) for most patents to issue.

17. alent1234 macrumors 603

all the features have been there before, but apple put them into one package. before if you wanted Exchange support you had to buy a "business" device that was over priced and probably didn't have consumer features. Blackberry has had apps for years, but you had to hunt them down on each developer's website and they were expensive. $30 for a weather app expensive.

18. alent1234 macrumors 603

there has been some form of touch computing for at least 10 years. Back around 2000 a lot of the business people knew how to write Palm's stylus language. MS has been working on Touch computing for years as well. I had an HP iPaq and my wife a Dell Axim and those had touch as well, with a stylus.

Apple had the nice idea of a software keyboard

19. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Who says apple invented multi touch?

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/02/07/1920243

Seems like there is a slew of articles indicating Bell Labs did the initial research and implementation

20. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I've seen software keyboards on my Dell Axim x50v running WM 2003 SE.

21. samcraig macrumors P6

The thread topic should be changed. As the demonstrator himself says at around 6:30 - this is NOT a multi-touch device and there are no plans to make this device multi touch.

It's an interesting device - and a step up for windows mobile. But it seemed sluggish and moving around a web page looked "jumpy" - not smooth.

22. outphase macrumors 65816

This is true. I looked up the 300ish page application and found that it wasn't examined yet.

It is Application No. 11/850,635 if you want to look it up yourself as well. I feel sorry for the poor patent examiner that gets this one.

23. cmaier macrumors G3

I wouldn't worry. They hardly read anything other than the claims, anyway.

24. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Yeah by limiting the capabilities of the iphone....amazing indeed :rolleyes: We could see a repeat of the computer OS wars if android gets on more phones...

25. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Maybe its similar to what the Zune HD will run.