Windows Photos App

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ThatiPhoneKid, Mar 14, 2018.

1. ThatiPhoneKid, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2018

ThatiPhoneKid macrumors 6502a

I updated my windows laptop to windows 10 creators update and there is a new photos app, can my photos in the new photos app be seen publicly by others?

2. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 68000

Darmok N Jalad

Unless MS screwed it up somehow, it should only be showing photos under your user login or whatever you have on your OneDrive. The Photos app searches default folders for content, but you should be able to adjust that in the settings, and remove the folders under "sources" that you don't want to see.

3. ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your reply, really appreciate it. I was a little paranoid that Microsoft is making all the photos on my computer public and that really worried me

4. ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can my photos in one drive be seen by the public at all? Or are they private

5. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 68000

Darmok N Jalad

Depends on your settings, but by default, no. You have to chose to share the content with others, and that is a pretty intentional maneuver.

6. westrock2000 macrumors 6502a

All it does is index photo's in a given folder. It's not like the Apple Photos where everything is stuck into a database file. I actually prefer the Windows method because you can access the photos directly with external programs or file explorers.

I will warn you though that you can't permanently turn off the OneDrive indexing. You can go into settings in Photos and remove the folder, but it adds it back every time you start up. Very annoying.

7. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 68000

Darmok N Jalad

Very annoying is Windows 10 in a nutshell. It doesn't respect your wishes very well at all. For example, I recently installed W10 in VirtualBox, and once complete, I uninstall ALL the junk apps and games that MS includes. Next time I start up my Virtual Machine, most of them are back again, some of them are even downloading and installing. It seems like the first time you get Windows 10 set up, that initial boot is terrible at remembering any preferences you set or apps you remove.