Windows Pings OS X, but not other way around

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zflauaus, Jul 5, 2008.

1. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I got a MacBook Pro today and gave my old iBook to my sister and we're trying to move her iTunes collection (8+ GB) over the network to her iBook, but OS X will not see her Windows XP machine at all. We have no firewalls enabled on any of our computers. Weird thing is, Windows can ping the OS X machines, but OS X cannot ping Windows.

Anybody have suggestions?

2. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

I realise this comment is not that helpful, but I would not transfer +8GB over the network. Windows' TCP/IP stack is very bad in handling lots of files. USB memory sticks are very cheap nowadays and it's a lot easier way to share files between Win/Mac.

3. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, it's a nice alternative and I'll think about it, but I'd much rather transfer over the network since it's there.

4. bstreiff macrumors regular

What? You're doing something wrong, then. I've had no trouble doing large data transfers over the network between Windows, OS X, and Linux. (go Samba!) Sounds like you have a flaky ethernet card or wireless card.

Anyway, back on topic: the reason OS X can't ping Windows is likely because the Windows Firewall is turned on; I believe one of its default options is to block ICMP packets, which the ping utility uses.

5. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

Like I said, I have no firewalls enabled, including the Windows Firewall.

6. bstreiff macrumors regular

That's interesting, then-- the only way I can get OS X to not be able to ping Windows is if I have the Windows Firewall on (specifically, with the 'Allow incoming echo request' option unchecked under Advanced->ICMP).

I'm not sure, then.

7. eddyq macrumors member

I'm having the reverse problem. I can ping from Mac to Windows but not from Windows to Mac. Is there a firewall on the Mac?

8. eddyq macrumors member

I found the firwall settings. They default to not allowing anything, not even a ping.