Windows pricing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by seladore, Apr 9, 2008.

1. seladore macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Last week I bought a shiny new Blackbook. I would like to install Windows via Bootcamp, for playing light games (and for those rare occasions when I need a program that only works for Windows).

My issue is this... IT"S SO DAMN EXPENSIVE!
    Seriously, I would like to use it for convenience occasionally but I resent paying £150+ for what is (IMO) quite a bad OS, just to play the odd game.

I have heard about OEM software - what does this entail, exactly? OEM windows XP is ~£50 on Amazon, as opposed to ~£150+. Is it fully functional?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

2. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

OEM is for new PC's via the manufacturer [O-Original E- Equipment M-Manufacturer]. This is like DELL, HP, etc. In short, you can't use it for what you want. You need to buy the full version [to be legal...wink wink, nudge nudge, know whatta mean, know whatta mean?]...

3. mags631 Guest

Yes, you can buy it. You just won't be able to return it or obtain support for it by Microsoft (without having to pay for the support services).

In general, this is a good practice, especially if you don't envision relying on MS to help you in your use of their product.

4. seladore thread starter macrumors newbie

OK. I don't want to contravene any forum rules here by saying anything that implies illegal activity. So bear with me...

What would happen if my copy of Windows, for whatever reason, did not have a CD key (for example if I re-installed my completely legally bought version but had lost the packaging...).
    Would I simply not be able to update, or would it throw me out after a set number of days?

5. iBecks macrumors 6502

You shouldn't be able to install XP without a product key.

Therefore no updates, no grace period.

6. eman macrumors 6502a

You won't be able to load windows XP without a license (product key). You can load windows Vista on a trial basis for 30 days, then you will be locked out, unless you input a valid product key.

7. UK2TX2CA macrumors newbie

I just went through the same situation, figure how expensive could it be...dang $180+

Asked the Windoze Support folks at work, sure they said have a Windows NT CD with key and an XP upgrade ( not a SP2 one ) with key for free....

They gave them away because it takes "ages" to download and install the SP's so they literially had them lying around.

I use VMWare on my Mac Pro and the install, while length, was trouble free ( I have two superdrives so that made it easier ).

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I use OEM Vista on my MacBook and have had no problems.

9. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Yes you can buy an OEM copy of Windows and install it perfectly and it is totally legal. Although some companies require you to buy a component such as a hdd with it, although many don't care.

The licence is non transferable.

No

10. liquidgold macrumors newbie

I was also recently looking for a copy of windows and balked at paying $200 from places like best buy. Ebay often has full licensed versions (including service pack 2) for around $80-90. There seem to be some pretty reputable sellers there, so I would go that route if I were you.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

High Feedback does not mean Reputable on eBay unfortunately. The only time I ever got ripped off on eBay was from a 80k positive feedback seller.

12. liquidgold macrumors newbie

You are definently right about that. I think just about anyone who has used ebay has had trouble at one point. But with windows, it seems there is a competitive market and good deals to be had. ebay has gotten better about helping people who get ripped off.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

^^ Its probably because Microsoft seems to be fairly proactive at cleaning it up.

14. seladore thread starter macrumors newbie

How do the pirate versions going around on P2P networks work? Do people not realise that they won't work?

Also, are the OEM versions more technically challenging to install? I don't want to get software that I need a degree in computer science to use

15. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

There used to be lots of common cd keys posted, but microsoft has cracked down. Most of the cracked/distributed keys have been shut down.

OEM is exactly the same to install. Simply no retail box and no legal right to move it from machine to machine.