Windows Printing via Samba in Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bdemers, Oct 28, 2007.

1. bdemers macrumors newbie

In Tiger, there was an option to use Windows Printing via Samba. It was accessed, when adding a printer, by holding down the Option key while selecting "more printers"

This no longer brings up the necessary options in Leopard.

Does anybody here know how to set up Windows Printing via Samba in Leopard?

2. SupadudeX macrumors member

3. akulberg macrumors newbie

re: Windows Printing via Samba in Leopard

I had a similar issue configuring ldp printing (which is also no longer supported in the Leopard printer setup as far as I could tell) from my mac to a networked XP machine. I found that you can go directly to the CUPS interface and configure the URI for the printer there:

http://127.0.0.1:631

4. chrishenry macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've managed to install SAMBA printer directly through CUPS. Go to http://localhost:631/ then click add printer, follow the on-screen instructions (choose Windows Printer via SAMBA for the device and enter the usual URI--smb://...--there is no need to include username/password apparently, Leopard asked me for that when I printed for the first time).

Hope that helps :)

chris

5. SupadudeX macrumors member

What did your URI look like? I tried what I did in Tiger smb://user:password@workgroup/computer/printer. This does not work anymore.

6. bdemers thread starter macrumors newbie

My URI was of the form:

smb://servername.domain.edu/printername

It asked for username and password (local to the Mac) afterwards...

7. SupadudeX macrumors member

Ok I just got this working. I had to do smb://ipaddress/printer

Now I just need to figure out what to do with the ipaddress because my router assigns them dynamically.

8. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

This worked for me...

Hey this works. It took a few interations through this thing, but I now have both of my Macs printing to a printer that is shared from a Window XP machine[ the key was the "smb://win-machine-name/queue-name" ].

Neil.

9. danielwsmithee macrumors 6502a

Customize the Toolbar.

They just hid the option in Leopard but it is still there. When you go to add a printer in leopard you need to "Customize the toolbar" and add the "advanced button" Then when you click on advanced you can select windows printing and insert a samba string.

10. imeister macrumors newbie

Printing works, but terribly unsecure

While you can use the following
    Code:
    smb://username:password@domain/server/queue
    to set up the printer in Leopard and Snow Leopard, the password you enter is stored in plain text in /private/etc/cups/printers.conf, to which anyone could browse...