Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gw0gvq

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
Barry, South Wales, UK
Hi I don't want to run parallels but I have one single program that I do want to run on my mac but its a Window program im looking for a standalone app that iI can use, can anyone suggest a good one please iI tried Wine but it wouldn't work I. don't know if it was me or the program, so I really need you guys to help?

gw0gvq

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
Barry, South Wales, UK
Well the thing is I don't mind paying if it works but for the one program I bit wary and I did think of virtual bx but I only know roughly how to use it to set widow itself in. but thanks

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
Hi I don't want to run parallels but I have one single program that I do want to run on my mac but its a Window program im looking for a standalone app that iI can use, can anyone suggest a good one please iI tried Wine but it wouldn't work I. don't know if it was me or the program, so I really need you guys to help?

try this implementation of wine.

thunderstruck

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2019
Sydney Australia
I recommend the latest wine builds for macOS. Even though it's not deemed stable, I've had better success using it on Windows programs than earlier versions/builds.

Wine-5.19

The one I use is labelled "wine-devel-5.19-osx64.tar.7z" and is 189MB.

After you download it, you would unzip/untar the program using Keka or TheUnarchiver (for example).

I usually put the Wine app in my ~/Applications folder instead of the system's /Applications folder because I use it only for my login and I try to keep up with the latest builds so I tend to replace it every few weeks.

Anyway, you then drag and drop the Windows executable or Windows installer program (Setup.exe or Setup.msi for example) onto the Wine app. With any luck, it will install/run.

The previous post links to Wineskin but that is not built using the latest wine source code. The Wine 5.19 build I've linked to is using the (near) latest source code.

One other thing. If you're trying to use a 32-bit Windows program (or a 32-bit Windows installer), you'll need to be using macOS Mojave or earlier. Catalina and Big Sur do not have 32-bit system libraries so they cannot support 32-bit Wine which in turn means 32-bit Windows apps cannot run. This is the main reason why I'm still using Mojave because I still have 32-bit apps I'm using (and I want to keep on using them).

Gcenx

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020
I recommend the latest wine builds for macOS. Even though it's not deemed stable, I've had better success using it on Windows programs than earlier versions/builds.

Wine-5.19

The one I use is labelled "wine-devel-5.19-osx64.tar.7z" and is 189MB.

After you download it, you would unzip/untar the program using Keka or TheUnarchiver (for example).

I usually put the Wine app in my ~/Applications folder instead of the system's /Applications folder because I use it only for my login and I try to keep up with the latest builds so I tend to replace it every few weeks.

Anyway, you then drag and drop the Windows executable or Windows installer program (Setup.exe or Setup.msi for example) onto the Wine app. With any luck, it will install/run.

The previous post links to Wineskin but that is not built using the latest wine source code. The Wine 5.19 build I've linked to is using the (near) latest source code.

One other thing. If you're trying to use a 32-bit Windows program (or a 32-bit Windows installer), you'll need to be using macOS Mojave or earlier. Catalina and Big Sur do not have 32-bit system libraries so they cannot support 32-bit Wine which in turn means 32-bit Windows apps cannot run. This is the main reason why I'm still using Mojave because I still have 32-bit apps I'm using (and I want to keep on using them).

It would be better to link to my repository as your lightly aware I try to build each release a few days after its release (I wait for staging before starting)

I recommend installing my packages via my homebrew tap (gcenx/wine) then install the desired package;

- gcenx-wine-stable
- gcenx-wine-devel
- gcenx-wine-staging
- wine-crossover (will properly rename to match this later)

Wineskin isn’t built with any wine source but uses them as “Engines”, however doh123 hasn’t updated the project in years but I happen to run an updated fork.

While Winehq sources don’t support macOS Catalina and later (Intel systems) CrossOver based sources do support running 32Bit on Catalina (wine-crossover)

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
cant remember the name
seems there is a new offering that is slanted towards singe win applications running on a mac. I think it is subscription.

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
cant remember the name
seems there is a new offering that is slanted towards singe win applications running on a mac. I think it is subscription.

Were you perhaps thinking of Crossover?

A commercial implementation of WINE. I know that's a vast oversimplification. They'll port you app to the Mac too, for a whole bunch of cash.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
no
this was a macOS app. It had a list of windows applicaitons you pick from. Say media Monkey, a long time windows only applicaiuotn. this macOS app would than wrap in a virtual environment mediaMonkey to run under macOS.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Perhaps Wine or WineBottler? I used WineBottler to make a stand-alone version of an old Windows XP program and it worked fine. However, it created about a 1gb file from the original program that was less than 1mb, because it included all the libraries needed for the Windows app.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.